Sterling Audio has announced the SL230MP medium-diaphragm condenser microphones. Offered as a matched pair, the SL230MP mics are an excellent choice for capturing ultra-realistic stereo recordings of acoustic guitar, piano, percussion, choirs, string sections, entire bands or orchestras, and more.
Sterling aims to bring a sound and build quality which is comparable to that of microphones many times more expensive.
Each SL230 mic employs a real gold-sputtered condenser capsule with a six-micron membrane, allowing for very high sensitivity to even the subtlest dynamic nuances in the source material. The mics’ cardioid pickup pattern provides excellent rejection of off-axis sounds, and a Class-A FET (field effect transistor) circuit design fosters smooth, wide frequency response and clean, consistent performance. As with most condenser mics, Sterling Audio SL230s operate on standard 48 volt phantom power.
A switchable highpass filter at 75 Hz rolls off rumble and subsonic vibrations. Thanks to a selectable -15 dB pad, the SL230 can be used in in high-volume applications where many condenser microphones fear to tread. With the pad engaged, the SL230 handles sound pressure levels up to 150 dB, making the pair a good option for applications such as drum overheads in a live setting.
Sterling Audio takes the utmost care in the matching process, ensuring that the two mics exhibit frequency response and output characteristics within a single dB of one another for consistent level matching in stereo applications. The two SL230s come with a rugged, padded protective case, two SM9 shock mounts, and two windscreens.
- Ideal acoustic guitar, drum, percussion, piano and room/overhead recording.
- Pair of SL230 medium-diaphragm studio condenser microphones.
- Class-A FET design provides smooth, full-frequency response.
- True gold-sputtered condenser capsules with 6-micron membrane.
- Cardioid pickup pattern rejects back and side sounds.
- 150 dB Max SPL with the -15dB pad (135 dB without PAD engaged).
- Switchable 75Hz filter reduces rumble and sub-sonic vibrations.
- Requires 48V phantom power.
The Sterling Audio SL230MP cardioid condenser microphone pair is available at Guitar Center retail stores and online at Musician’s Friend for $149.99 USD.
More information: Sterling Audio