sun.io has released Grasshopper, a free sample pack for Native Instruments Kontakt featuring the sounds of grasshoppers.
In August 2011 I went on a field recording trip to a local park called Sonsbeek in my hometown Arnhem. I’ve recorded a range of grasshoppers from a distance and very, very, very close by. Sounds easy, but it was really difficult to record them properly. It took me around 5 hours to obtain reasonable data for processing. All audio was recorded using the binaural technique.
- Recorded with:
- MiniDisc MZ-R55.
- Custom made binaural microphone.
- Source: 44.1kHz re-sampled to 96kHz.
- Kontakt patches:
- Grasshopper Single – Single chirps of a grasshopper with 20 round (random) robin layers in mono.
- Grasshopper Double – Double chirps of a grasshopper with 20 round (random) robin layers in mono.
- Grasshopper Ambient Binaural – Sampled grasshoppers, streams, waterfall and other ambient sounds on location. Recorded in Binaural.
Download: Grasshopper (76.3 MB)