Arturia has announced the release of a free, easy-to-use audio plugin designed to bring instant atmosphere and vintage tape-aged warmth in a few clicks.
The Tape MELLO-FI effect allows users to add sublime lo-fi vibes over drum loops, vocals, mix bus, and anything in between.
Tape MELLO-FI’s sound and behavior is inspired by Mellotron V, our software recreation of the legendary Mellotron instrument. The combination of tape reels, analog circuitry, and aging over time gave the Mellotron a distinct sound. Fluttering, grainy, compressed; these qualities have become an endearing part of the ‘Tron sound.
Pitchy flutters, subtle distortion, warm saturation, velvety smooth filtered sounds; Tape MELLO-FI captures the uniquely imperfect behavior of tape in perfect detail, distilled into a single plugin. Fun and straightforward to use, Tape MELLO-FI isn’t just a one-trick lo-fi pony. It comes as a feature-rich tool for all musicians and producers to use.
Tape MELLO-FI features
- Authentic tape emulator & lo-fi effect based on Mellotron V’s vintage sound & behavior.
- Classic tape controls like Noise, Flutter, Wow, Wear, and Mechanics.
- Added features like Distortion and Boost.
- Interactive tape wheel with tempo-synchronized Tape Stop feature and optional Instant Tape Catch-up.
- 12dB low-pass and high-pass filter section.
- Enhanced Stereo Width feature introduces offsets to Wow & Flutter from left to right for an extra-wide sound.
- Curated 25-preset library for instant-access to retro & lo-fi effects.
The plugin is free to download for Windows and Mac (VST/VST3, AU and AAX) until December 31st, 2021. It is available from the Arturia Software Center, the Arturia website, and from distributor Plugin Boutique.