Tokyo Dawn Labs has announced the release of TDR Kotelnikov, a wideband dynamics processor combining high fidelity dynamic range control with deep musical flexibility.
As a descendant of the venerable TDR Feedback Compressor product family, Kotelnikov has directly inherited several unique features such as a proven control scheme, individual release control for peak and RMS content, an intuitive user interface, and powerful, state of the art, high-precision algorithms.
With a sonic signature best described as “stealthy”, Kotelnikov has the ability to manipulate the dynamic range by dramatic amounts, while carefully preserving the original tone, timbre and punch of a musical signal. As such, it is perfectly suited to stereo bus compression as well as other critical applications.
The “Gentleman’s Edition” (GE) adds several improvements to the standard edition’s feature set. The most obvious being an intuitive access to various equal loudness workflows, the ability to specify ratio in a frequency dependent manner, as well as a powerful sidechain high-pass filter allowing continuously variable access over slope and frequency. The Yin/Yang functions allow manipulating the harmonic pattern produced during compression, and a new “insane” quality mode increases processing fidelity even further.
Kotelnikov does not try to emulate any previously available device. The concept is a proud digital processor, it is the original!
TDR Kotelnikov features
- 64bit floating point precision for all relevant calculations.
- Multi-rate processing structure for highest accuracy.
- “Delta” oversampled signal path (bit transparent at 0dB gain reduction).
- Super fast, yet natural sounding compression.
- Control scheme based on “Crest factor”, offering independent release controls for peak and RMS events.
- Frequency dependent ratio.
- Flexible sidechain highpass filter offering continuously variable control over slope and frequency.
- Advanced stereo linking options optimized for the stereo bus.
- Delta preview mode to preview the difference between compressed and original signal.
- Equal loudness latency compensated bypass (processing doesn’t interrupt).
- Extensive documentation.
TDR Kotelnikov standard edition is available to download for free (VST/AU); the Gentleman’s Edition can be purchased directly from Tokyo Dawn for 40 EUR.