Universal Audio has launched UAD Software v9.4, the latest update for its for Apollo audio interfaces and UAD accelerators.
The update sees the release of the Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor plugin, an expert end-to-end circuit emulation of the iconic compressor that has been used on thousands of hit records, providing all the features and coveted sound of the original Distressor design.
“The UAD EL8 Distressor plug-in is significantly better in accuracy and operation than the other plug-ins that try to cop its vibe and sound,” says Distressor creator Dave Derr. “It’s the best Distressor emulation in the world and will stand the test of time as the definitive Distressor emulation.”
Introduced in 1993, the Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor is revered in studios all over the world as the modern, “must-have” compressor. Versatile, super fast, and offering tons of color, the Distressor picks up where the legendary UA 1176 and Teletronix LA-2A compressors leave off — a modern tool that’s equal parts utilitarian and creative, as heard on thousands of hit records.
The only authentic Distressor plug-in endorsed by Empirical Labs’ founder Dave Derr, the UAD Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor is available exclusively for UAD hardware and Apollo interfaces. An exhaustive end-to-end emulation of Derr’s iconic hardware, the UAD EL8 Distressor is the only faithful emulation of this true “desert island” compressor.
Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor features
- Track and mix with the only authentic emulation of the EL8 Distressor — the world’s most popular modern compressor.
- Radically shape guitars, drums, and vocals with nearly infinite gain reduction variations.
- Harness plug-in-only features like Dry/Wet parallel processing and Headroom for user-customizable operating level.
- Creatively color instruments and vocals with famous “Dist 2” and “Dist 3” modes.
- Embellish, pump up, or destroy bass, synth, and room mics with custom detector filtering.
- Mix with presets from Joe Chiccarelli (The Strokes), Vance Powell (Jack White), Jacquire King (Kings of Leon), Jimmy Douglass (The Rolling Stones), and more.
The EL8 Distressor plugin is available for 299 USD/EUR.
The version 9.4 update also comes with new plugins by Softube, Brainworx, and Townsend Labs.
Dytronics Tri-Stereo Chorus
Developed by Softube and available exclusively for UAD hardware and Apollo interfaces, the Dytronics Tri-Stereo Chorus plug-in is an exacting emulation of the ultra-rare, three-channel dream machine favored by ’80s L.A. session royalty — including Michael Landau, Steve Lukather, and Dann Huff.
The Dytronics Tri-Stereo Chorus plug-in gives you all the expansive depth of the original’s three independent bucket-brigade delay lines, along with new “plug-in-only” features, for tracks dripping with lush vibe and character.
Dytronics Tri-Stereo Chorus features
- Get thick analog chorus from three bucket-brigade delay lines, simultaneously on a single source.
- Craft rich, swirling analog chorus textures on guitars, keyboards, bass, synths, and more.
- Sculpt lush modulation sounds with Preset or Manual mode, each with its own LFO waveform output.
- Use Preset and Manual modes together to craft your own signature chorus tones.
The Dytronics Tri-Stereo Chorus is available for 199 USD/EUR.
Gallien-Krueger 800RB Bass Amp
Developed by Brainworx and available exclusively for UAD hardware and Apollo interfaces, the Gallien-Krueger 800RB Bass Amp is an exacting emulation of the legendary solid-state bass amp used by artists like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, No Doubt, Guns n’ Roses, and more.
Famous for its bi-amplified operation and DI output, the Gallien-Krueger 800RB quickly became an industry standard for countless bassists, touring bands, and backline companies.
The Gallien-Krueger 800RB plug-in emulates the original hardware’s bi-amplified architecture, providing two different power amps — one for the lows and one for the highs. An adjustable crossover allows you to control which frequencies go to which power amp, and each has a master volume knob, making it easy to dial in just the right amount of bass or bite.
Gallien-Krueger 800RB features
- Record your bass through a spot-on emulation of one of the all-time classic bass amps.
- Independently select Recording Chains with cabinet/microphone combos for each of the 800RB’s two amplifiers.
- Shape your tone with Gallien-Krueger’s unbeatable voicing filters and 4-band EQ.
- Track with authentic bass-amp feel through an Apollo interface using Unison™ technology.
Gallien-Krueger 800RB costs 149 USD/EUR
Ocean Way Microphone Collection
Developed by Townsend Labs for the Sphere L22 microphone and available exclusively for UAD hardware and Apollo interfaces, the Ocean Way Microphone Collection plug-in expertly captures the “best of the best” from Allen Sides’ world-renowned mic locker at Ocean Way Studios.
Featuring 12 microphones from Neumann, Sony, RCA, AKG, and more, the Ocean Way Microphone Collection in conjunction with the Sphere L22 mic lets you change the proximity effect and polar pattern in realtime or at mixdown, as well as reduce bleed, room coloration, and feedback — before or after tracking. You can also mix two different mic models together for recordings that capture the characteristics of both microphones.
Ocean Way Microphone Collection features
- Accurate emulations of vintage microphones from Allen Sides’ world-renowned collection, including mics from Neumann, Sony, AKG, RCA, and more*.
- Realtime UAD Processing with Universal Audio’s Apollo interface for extremely low latency.
- Three-dimensional modeling emulates proximity effect, polar patterns, and other off-axis characteristics of vintage microphones with stunning accuracy.
- Re-Mic Sphere tracks and select mic type, polar pattern, proximity effect, and other settings before or after tracking.
The Ocean Way Microphone Collection plugin is 249 USD/EUR. It requires the Townsend Labs Sphere L22 microphone.
UAD Software 9.4 also comes with TS Overdrive, an emulation of the Ibanez Tube Screamer TS808 overdrive pedal, Marshall Plexi Classic (free for Apollo owners), and compatibility for macOS 10.13 High Sierra and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.
More information: Universal Audio