Universal Audio has launched the UAD Software v9.9 update, which features the new Capitol Chambers Plug-In, the world’s first authentic plug-in emulation of Capitol Studios’ iconic underground echo chambers, exclusively for UAD hardware and UA Audio Interfaces.
Prized for their natural sound and dense ambience, the subterranean echo chambers at Capitol Studios were designed by recording pioneer Les Paul. Famous for their smooth response and lengthy decay times, these chambers have graced thousands of hits — from Ray Charles to Frank Sinatra, Beck to Muse.
In crafting the Capitol Chambers plug-in, UA were granted unprecedented access to Capitol’s four most popular chambers, 30-feet beneath the studio, and used historic technical diagrams from the early ’60s to recreate the exact microphone and speaker/horn arrangements. New and creative mic/speaker combos were also devised by UA and Capitol’s chief engineer, Steve Genewick.
Harnessing the same technology as the award-winning Ocean Way Studios Plug-In, Capitol Chambers uses UA’s proprietary Dynamic Room Modeling technology, an exclusive combination of physical modeling and advanced measurement techniques, letting the user reposition the mics within the chamber for next-level ambience control.
Capitol Chambers Plug-In features features
- Precisely modeled emulation of Capitol Studios’ historic echo chambers, exclusively for UAD hardware and UA Audio Interfaces.
- Licensed and endorsed by Capitol Studios with mic/speaker setups curated by Capitol’s Steve Genewick.
- Dynamic Room Modeling allows users to create new sounds by repositioning chamber microphones.
- Access the chamber’s entire signal chain including amplifiers, speakers, custom preamps, and mics.
- Presets from legendary Grammy-winning engineers Al Schmitt (Ray Charles, Steely Dan), Darrell Thorp (Beck, Radiohead), Frank Filipetti (Madonna, Paul McCartney) and more.
- Other features include adjustable Decay, Pre Delay, sweepable low-cut filter, three-band EQ, Dry/Wet mix, and Width.
The Capitol Chambers Plug-In is available for $349 USD / 349 EUR.
Tube-Tech CL 1B MkII
The update also brings the Tube-Tech CL 1B MkII developed by Softube, an updated version of this iconic optical compressor used by modern artists like Kanye West, Rihanna, Jennifer Lopez, and more.
Developed by Softube, the Tube-Tech CL 1B MkII plug-in for UAD hardware and UA Audio Interfaces is an update of this iconic optical compressor used by modern artists like Kanye West, Rihanna, Jennifer Lopez, and more.
Featuring numerous sonic enhancements and new high-resolution graphics, the Tube-Tech CL 1B MkII plug-in has been reimagined with Softube’s latest component modeling and signal processing technology, for an even deeper emulation than before — capturing this modern classic in all its tube glory.
Tube-Tech CL 1B MkII features
- An updated emulation of a modern Classic Compressor, fully authenticated by Tube-Tech, Denmark.
- Optical tube compression with a modern sound and reimagined features.
- New Sidechain Low Cut and Parallel Compression controls.
- Updated hi-res graphics for 4K and Ultra HD screens.
The Tube-Tech CL 1B MkII costs $299 / 299 EUR. Current Tube-Tech CL 1B owners can get the updated version for 99 USD/EUR.
More information: Universal Audio