Jordan Rudess’ Wizdom Music has released SampleWiz, a sampler music app for iOS.
Jordan says: In creating this instrument I wanted to create something that would appeal to the sonic explorer in all of us. Creating a sampler for iOS devices has allowed us to push the boundaries of traditional sampling instruments.
From playing a selection of my signature sounds on the SampleWiz keyboard (JR lead anyone?) to getting up close and personal with sounds by playing directly on the waveform screen, our mission was to blow your mind, put a smile on your face, and expand your creativity.
In creating SampleWiz, we have created partnerships with leading sound developers in addition to my personally selected onboard presets.
- Choose from three different sampling modes: classic, granular, and modern:
- Classic – the traditional method of sampling where the sound will speed up and slow down as you go higher or lower than the recorded pitch.
- Granular – Wizdom Music’s own take on a granular synthesis engine. Adjust grain size and speed while the entire range of notes maintain the same speed.
- Modern – explore new sampling possibilities using Dirac technology to allow formants and time to be adjusted automatically over a device-selected range.
- Up to 10 seconds per sample.
- Jordan Rudess presets from his private collection.
- Resample anything that you play on the playing surface to create all new samples derived from your existing presets!
- Three playing surface modes allow you to play on the keyboard, wave-edit screen, and the ADSR window.
- Wizdom Music’s Advanced Pitch Rounding for initial attack as well as after a slide.
- Every note you play is an independent event allowing powerful, expressive control of pitch and amplitude.
- Finger vibrato effect allows you to achieve vibrato even when pitch lock is activated!
- Unique visuals for each sampling mode. A glow tracks your fingers and respond to the amount of amplitude of every note you play.
- Choose from many different scales and customize your own.
- Play your samples forward or reverse!
- Looping options include standard looping as well as back-and-forth looping.
- Allows trimming of samples.
- Unique visualization of the amplitude envelope on the ADSR page.
- FX include delay with a choice of tap-tempo, BPM, and seconds control over the rate.
- Have two keyboards on the screen, each with its own range and scale!
- Unique hold mode where every held note can be in a different synthesis mode!
- Share your presets with friends by mailing them as SampleWiz files or standard audio files.
- Play directly on the waveform and hear the audio that is right under your finger. Slide each finger separately in any direction to change pitch and position in the sample.
- MAPI AudioCopy/AudioPaste allows sharing of audio with top audio apps.
- Load your own audio files with iTunes file sharing.
- Onboard help screens explain every parameter. Touch the question mark to activate.
SampleWiz for iOS is available to purchase for $9.99 USD.