Note: this post is from 2008, outbound links may be broken.
Audacity updated to v1.3.6 (Beta)
Multi-platform audio editor and recorder Audacity has been updated to version 1.3.6 beta.
Changes in Audacity 1.3.6
- Major new capabilities
- FFmpeg support (downloadable separately) permits import and export of a much wider range of file formats, including WMA, M4A and AC3, plus import of audio from video files.
- On-demand loading of uncompressed files eliminates the wait before files can be played or edited.
- Linked audio and label tracks allow labels to move withtheir corresponding audio when cutting, pasting or changingspeed or tempo.
- Other features
- Hierarchical plug-in grouping for built-in plug-ins.
- Sound activated recording.
- Ability to save smaller, compressed project files.
- MIDI files can now be imported, cut-and-paste edited, then exported.
- Transport menu for easy access to frequently used recording/playback commands and preferences.
- Default View Mode Preference to choose Waveform, Spectrum or Pitch view.
- Several bug fixes.
Audacity is available for Mac, Windows, Linux and other operating systems as freeware (GPL).