Audio Genetics Lab has released Magnus Chord Organ, a free reed organ instrument for Native Instruments Kontakt.
Dug up from the archives and presented free to the public is our newest genetic specimen: the Magnus Chord Organ. This small subspecies is closely related to the accordion and harmonica, with the key difference being the source of the air movement generating from an electric fan as opposed to moving bellows or lungs. Originally three keyboard octaves, and including a number of accordion-like chord buttons, this family instrument was widely distributed in the 1970’s. It has a raw, charming quality to its sound.
Magnus Chord Organ features
- Sampled Magnus Chord Organ, 48kHz, 16 bit.
- 3 octaves, 12 chord buttons.
- Kontakt 3.5+ patches included:
- Magnus Chord Organ – Purist: This is the original, raw, library. No extra bells and whistles or performance additions, really. This is how 1970’s New Jersey wanted you to hear the Magnus. Includes chromatic sampling of the melodic keys, and the lower octaves will play the 24 maj/min chords. Noise sample of the operating fan is sustained from B-1.
- Accordionic: Some subtle changes from the Purist patch, this instrument more closely emulates an accordion. Mod Wheel controlled dynamics, subtle EQ shifts, and a bit of volume envelope can yield a convincing copy. The character-filled clunky key release samples can be turned off for a more pure sound.
- Accordionic – RR: The same design as Accodionic, only with a simulated round robin, created by extending the chromatically sampled keys out to neighboring tones. If you are doing lots of repetitions, this may be a good alternate choice.
- Accordionic – Breath Controller: Accordionic, but pre-programmed for breath controllers. Select your Breath CC source (defaults to 2), and play away. Turned off Chords yields an extended low range.
- Bassadore 64: Divergent genetic mutation. Retro synth bass. Have fun with the mod wheel as well.
- MagSmack Kit: Another distant mutation. This electro-perc kit would be 10 years in the future from the Magnus, or 30 years back in our past.
- Flagolets de Magnus: Sustain patch that has some qualities of string harmonics. 3x round robin. Adjust the front panel ADSR for more variations.
Magnus Chord Organ is available as a free download for Kontakt 3.5 or higher.
More information: Audio Genetics Lab / Magnus Chord Organ