Audio Damage has launched Mad Hatter, a new Eurorack format digital noise module.
What do you get when you take a shift register noise generator and the six-square-wave oscillator stack from the TR606 cymbal source and put ‘em in one unit? Mad Hatter!
As a digital noise source, Mad Hatter is, well, as versatile as a digital noise source can really be. The COLOR control and CV input is the clock speed of the shift register, from chaotic oscillations to white noise.
This noise is then paired with the oscillator stack, six square waves at frequencies measured from our own TR-606. (For added versatility, the COLOR knob also controls the pitch of two of those oscillators, sweeping them over a 1-octave range.) The oscillators run through a pair of bandpass filters, in the same manner as the TR-606’s cymbal sound.
This whole mess goes to a high-pass filter, with a frequency controlled with the HPF FILTER FREQ knob and CV input. After that, it’s out the out-hole to your favorite VCA, for easy-to-patch hi-hat and cymbal sounds.
Mad Hatter features
- Digital shift register noise plus 6 square wave oscillators for easy x0x-style cymbal synthesis.
- COLOR knob controls shift register noise clock and oscillator stack pitch.
- HPF FREQ knob controls high-pass filter frequency.
- CROSSFADE knob mixes from audio input, through noise, to oscillator stack.
- CV control of all parameters.
- 8HP panel size.
- Skiff-friendly 20mm depth.
- 90ma current draw.
Mad Hatter is available for purchase for $189 USD.
More information: Audio Damage / Mad Hatter
MOTU has announced it is now shipping Windows 7- and 8-compatible USB 2.0 ASIO and Wave drivers for their new line of AVB-equipped audio interface products, including the 1248, 8M, 16A, 24Ai, 24Ao and Monitor 8.
Users can connect their MOTU interface to a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port on their PC for multi-channel audio I/O with any ASIO- or Wave-compatible host software.
“We’re excited that Windows users can now take full advantage of MOTU’s groundbreaking deployment of AVB audio interface technology in these award-winning products,” said Jim Cooper, Director of Marketing at MOTU.
The Windows driver installer is now available as a free download to all MOTU AVB interface owners at motu.com/avb, where a free download of MOTU’s AudioDesk 4 workstation software for Windows is also available.
Concurrent with the Windows driver release is another “one-click” field-upgradable firmware update for all MOTU AVB audio interfaces that introduces several enhancements, including optional stereo TOSLink (optical S/PDIF) support for MOTU’s 1248, 8M and 16A models.
More information: MOTU / AVB audio interfaces
Steinberg has announced the UR12, its latest USB 2.0 audio interface, featuring 192 kHz audio quality, class compliant support for the iPad alongside a microphone input with D-PRE preamplifier, one high-impedance line input plus line outputs.
The front side of the UR12 interface comprises one Neutrik XLR connector for microphones, and a high-impedance jack input, each with gain control and peak indicator. The panel also includes a headphones output, a master output volume control together with a direct monitor switch for zero-latency monitoring of the input signal. The rear panel features the analog RCA outputs, one USB 2.0 port and one mini USB port for connecting an optional USB power adapter plus a +48 V phantom power switch on channel 1 and power source selector for both USB ports.
The UR12 guarantees pristine sonic fidelity due to the studio-grade converters that feature a maximum sample rate of 192 kHz and 24-bit resolution alongside the built-in discrete Class-A analog D-PRE microphone preamplifier by Yamaha.
Freely available as download to all UR12 customers, Cubase AI provides a comprehensive set of tools for recording, mixing and editing audio. The UR12 is compatible with other major recording software applications, supports the iPad in class-compliant mode and includes drivers for Windows and OS X systems.
Product marketing manager for hardware, Stefan Schreiber, commented: “Together with Yamaha, we’ve come up with an extremely affordable interface that boasts an impressive feature set. If one adds its portable size, the all-metal casing and superb audio quality to the bill it’s clear that the UR12 is the first choice for mobile setups and small-spaced recording studios.”
The UR12 audio interface will be shipping in January 2015, priced at MSRP 119 EUR, including German VAT.
More information: Steinberg / UR12
MOTU has announced it is now shipping Monitor 8, a monitor mixer, headphone amp, and audio interface.
Monitor 8 is a 24 x 16 x 8 monitor mixer, 6-channel headphone amplifier and USB/AVB audio interface with console-style 48-channel mixing and DSP effects. With exceptional analog audio quality based on the award-winning design of MOTU’s groundbreaking 1248, 8M and 16A AVB interfaces, Monitor 8 can serve as a primary audio interface and monitor mixer in the studio, as a complete monitoring solution for live performance, or as a dedicated monitoring component of a MOTU AVB audio network system.
“Monitor 8 is a one-stop solution for high-quality stereo monitoring through speakers, headphones, and in-ear systems,” said Jim Cooper, Director of Marketing at MOTU. “With large console-style mixing and Wi-Fi control, Monitor 8 is equally well suited for both studio operation and live performance situations.”
Monitor 8 features
- Three products in one — 24 x 16 x 8 monitor mixer, 6-channel headphone amp and USB/AVB audio interface.
- Superb audio quality — Employs the same award-winning analog design as MOTU’s groundbreaking 1248, 8M and 16A audio interfaces.
- 24 inputs and 8 stereo bus outputs — Mix 24 physical inputs, multi-channel computer audio, and 32 AVB audio network channels to eight stereo bus outputs (Main, Aux, and monitor groups A thru F). Inputs include 8 channels of balanced (TRS) analog and 16 channels (2 banks) of ADAT optical.
- Six monitor groups with flexible outputs — Each group provides multiple mirrored outputs, including 2x 1/4-inch phones (front and rear panel), summed 1/4-inch mono out for stage monitors, and, for groups A-D, balanced stereo 1/4-inch outs.
- Universal connectivity — Connects to a computer with standard AVB Ethernet or audio class compliant high-speed USB 2.0 (compatible with USB 3.0 and iOS). Discovery app and web app software works alongside any host audio software.
- On-board 32-bit floating point DSP with large console style mixing and effects — Flexible 48-input digital mixer with 12 stereo busses and DSP effects, including reverb with sends, plus modeled analog EQ and compression, gate, and reverb.
- System expansion — Add a 2nd MOTU AVB interface (1248, 8M, 16A, 24Ai or 24Ao) with a simple Cat-5e ethernet cable. Connect up to five MOTU interfaces using a MOTU AVB Switch (sold separately).
- AVB audio networking — Build a network with multiple interfaces and computers using standard AVB switches and network cabling, with ultra-low network latency, even over long cable runs (100 meters point to point). Stream hundreds of audio channels among devices and computers on the network.
- Flexible matrix routing and splitting — Send any input to any output, or multiple outputs. Includes routing to and from the computer, plus any devices on the AVB network.
- Web app control — Control on-board DSP, mixing, device settings, and network audio routing from web app software running in your favorite browser on a laptop, tablet or smart phone connected by wire or Wi-Fi to your local area network.
- Stand-alone mixing with wireless control — Connect an Apple Airport™ or other Wi-Fi router directly to the Monitor 8 with a standard Ethernet cable and control the Monitor 8’s powerful mixing and DSP effects from your smart phone or tablet, without a computer. Great for live show monitor mixing.
- AudioDesk 4.0 — Includes AudioDesk workstation software for Mac and Windows with 24-bit recording, sample-accurate editing and 32-bit mixing and mastering.
Monitor 8 is available for purchase for $995 USD.
More information: MOTU / Monitor 8
Expert Sleepers has announced USAMO, a hardware device that generates a sample-accurate, jitter-free MIDI output from an audio input.
The audio signal is generated by the USAMO software, a plug-in which runs as a virtual instrument (AU/VST/AAX, Mac & Windows) in your DAW. The DAW sends MIDI to the plug-in; the plug-in translates that to audio and sends it to the USAMO hardware, via an output on your computer’s audio interface. The USAMO then reconstructs the MIDI and outputs it on a standard 5 pin DIN MIDI socket.
The USAMO software also generates MIDI clock, Song Position Pointer etc.
Because the MIDI signals are generated and transported as audio, they are guaranteed to be sample-accurately synced with your audio, and free of the jitter often associated with computer-generated MIDI.
The USAMO will launch at NAMM in January 2015.
More information: Expert Sleepers / USAMO
More posts that match this tag
Balanced Audio Technology has announced it will celebrate its 20th anniversary at CES 2015 with the introduction of four new products: the VK-23SE and VK-43SE solid-state stereo preamplifiers and the VK-225 and VK-225SE solid-state stereo … read more
TK Audio has released the Mono Blender, a 500 series single channel version module of its MB1 Mini-Blender introduced earlier this year. The Mono Blender is the perfect tool for parallel processing. Insert any compressor … read more
Native Instruments has announced a limited-time holiday sales special on its Komplete Audio 6 audio interface. KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 is a premium 6-channel audio interface with four analog ins/outs, digital in/out, MIDI, and low-latency performance. … read more
Outbound link: Native Instruments
/ Komplete Audio 6
– Related: audio interface
, Native Instruments
Posted in news
on Dec 05, 2014 - 0 comments
Waves has launched DiGiGrid IOS, an audio interface with a built-in SoundGrid DSP server for plugin processing. The IOS features 8 mic/line inputs with broadcast/studio-quality preamps, 8 line outputs, 2 headphone outputs, and MIDI I/O, … read more
Native Instruments has announced a limited-time holiday special on its Traktor Kontrol Z2, a hybrid DJ control mixer designed for Traktor Pro 2 software. TRAKTOR KONTROL Z2 unites analog and digital DJing technology with two … read more
Outbound link: Native Instruments
/ Traktor Kontrol Z2
– Related: controller
, Native Instruments
Posted in news
on Dec 04, 2014 - 0 comments
Shure has announced the 5575LE Unidyne Limited Edition microphone, a single element unidirectional dynamic microphone to be released in celebration of the Unidyne microphone’s 75th anniversary. As the world-renowned leader in microphones, Shure Incorporated has … read more
Kemper Amps has announced the release of the free Ace of Skunk Anansie signature Rig Pack, featuring all the glorious amp tones known from Ace with Skunk Anansie from the very beginning to today. The … read more
PreSonus has announced the availability of HD mode for StudioLive AI-series mixers. Once updated, any StudioLive AI-series mixer can record and play back audio streams at sample rates up to 96 kHz over the onboard … read more
Elektron has announced its Black Weeks sale, offering 15% off its products for a limited time. Swedish instrument maker Elektron announces the ”Black Weeks” campaign. During the campaign, all Elektron machines are discounted by 15%. … read more
Eventide has announced it is now shipping the H9 MAX effect pedal. Shipping NOW – H9 MAX, the studio processor in a stompbox, comes chock full of all 45 algorithms from TimeFactor, ModFactor, PitchFactor, and … read more
Native Instruments has released version 2.2 of Maschine, a major update of the acclaimed integrated hardware/software groove production system. New features include Smart Play™, adding new melodic capabilities, unified sound browsing, full KOMPLETE KONTROL S-Series … read more
Scottish based SkoogMusic last week launched an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign, aiming to enable production of its ground-breaking musical instrument ‘Skoog 2.0’. This uniquely expressive, uber-cool cube is designed for everyone to play, but unlike a … read more
Shure has announced holiday product rebates on select SM microphones and, for the first time, a rebate offer for the SE215 & SE535 Sound Isolating Earphones. Customers who purchase SM57 and SM58® microphones can earn … read more
Arturia has announced that it will release a next-generation audio interface in 2015. Arturia President Frédéric Brun bowled over an audience of invited industry insiders and VIP guests when making the astounding announcement during his … read more
Moog Music has announced the discontinuation of the Slim Phatty analog synthesizer, a tabletop, poly-chainable ideation of the classic Little Phatty analog synthesizer. Moog plans to continue building the Slim Phatty in limited quantities at … read more