The new year started off well with tons of new and updated freeware VST effect and instrument plugins.
Here are my top picks of January in random order.
- TesslaSE by Bootsy.
This effect plug-in does some tube+digital magic in the area of signal saturation and coloration.
- S3 by Krakli.
Can we ever have enough string machine emulators? I think not!
- Prophanity by Roberson Audio.
This one does a great job emulating the classic Prophet 5 synth. Must check if you like VA type synths.
- GTG 44 S by GTG Synths.
Mik’s plug-ins are always top notch and this six voice VA type synth is no exception. Great for those oldskool analog type sounds, fat leads etc.
The plug-ins listed above are all freely available in VST format for Windows PC.
Krakli has released S3, a freeware string machine emulator plug-in for Windows PC.
S3 was designed to compliment the previous StringZ synths.
- Oscillator with Width, Move and Amount controls.
- Noise with Tone and Amount controls.
- Vibrato with Delay, Rate and Amount controls.
- Waveforms: Sine, Square, Triangle, Saw, Soft Ramp, Peak Ramp, Ramp, Peak, Octava, Cluster 1, Cluster 2
- Effects: Phaze, Reverb, Ens., Echo, Filter.
- FX mix for Ens., Reverb and Echo.
S3 is not yet available on the Krakli website, so you can get it here for now.
Visit Krakli for more information and a link to download S3.
Krakli has released a free version of Bel, a slightly different version from the Bell/Chime VSTi in the YAVA2 package.
Bel Free has an additional sync knob which is used to pregessively lock the 4 oscillators to the note freq. It should enable more synthetic (but more predictable) tones to be made.
You can download Bel Free here.
Kriminal, who helped in the development of the first Karnage synth by Krakli, has released a number of plugins over the past few weeks.
The latest synth is TWILIGHT, a freeware synth featuring 2 OSC’s (EVM LightWave), each with its own filter, filter envelope and amp envelope. It also has MOD and Chorus, and LFO controls. According to Kriminal it’s good for delicate/digital/metalic sounds.
Kriminal also released:
- DANTE, a 2 OSC poly synth
- KRM-101, a simple synth capable of some cool bass/lead sounds (based on the 80′s Roland SH-101)
- NIETZSCHE, a basic synth using 2 Unison OSC’s and a Sub OSC
- SARTRE XT, a 2 OSC synth where each VCO can produce 6 diff waveforms similatneously
- VOLTAIRE, a simple 1 OSC (saw/sq) monosynth for making old school acid basslines
- PULSE80R, a 8 OSC synth with pulse waves only
- KOMBAT, a synth suitable for bass and lead sounds
- CZAR, a Phase Distortion synth
- KRM-SFP, a simple Soundfont Player
All these plug-ins are made with SynthEdit. They can be downloaded from Kara-Moon.
Krakli has released StringZ2, a new and improved version of StringZ.
StringZ2 is much more capable of providing pad ensemble sounds as well as the PM sounds that StringZ was famous for.
New features in StringZ2
- Keyscale controls, can be used to good effect to fine tune the filter or harmonics across the keyboard
- Reverb unit built in, can become part of the voice architecture
- Full bank of 128 presets (by Tim Conrardy and Himalaya)
You can hear a mp3 demo on the free synths page.
Visit Krakli for more information and a link to download StringZ2.
Krakli has released Rticul8R, a freeware synth.
From the Krakli website:
An update to Rticul8, this synth is spikey and full of character, best played with a velocity sensitive keyboard, it can turn its hand to natural sounding or totally synthetic tones. Very many thanks to androidlove for the patches.
- ensemble and vibrato
- amp envelope
- filter with envelope
- echo effect
- 32 presets
You can download Rticul8R here.
Krakli has released Isol8or, a free VST effect that can isolate various parts of tracks.
Like Isol8or’s predecessor Turnstile, this plug-in the effect is based on a combination of timebase and phase cancellation effects so results will be determined by the source material.
- 2 channels
- 4 filters for each channel (Low, High, Band & Notch)
- mix controls
- 3 modulation rate & depth controls
- option to invert channels
This plug-in can be used to do some conventional things like removing vocals from tracks and bringing out the vocals from tracks, or get creative and experiment to get various weird effects.
Visit Krakli for more information and a link to download Isol8or.
Krakli Synths has updated their free VSTi Karnage to version 1.7.
Updated in v1.7
- added Oscillator-Sync
- extra detune amounts on Oscs 1 & 2
- D-Gate which allows creative use of a special MultiTap delay
Version 1.7 is backwards compatible with v1.5.
Visit Krakli Synths for more information and a link to download Karnage v1.7.