Sonimus has announced Britson, an upcoming console emulation plug-in for Windows and Mac.
Britson, besides being a subtle saturator, can be very aggressive if volume is increased from the input.
Just like with a real unit, THD (total harmonic distortion) is low at normal levels, but can easily reach the clipping point without loss of dynamics at normal levels.
Britson’s sound can be very aggressive without the need for a specific switch dedicated to that purpose.
- Flexibility to be used subtly or aggressively (to overdrive virtual or real instruments, for example).
- Two Saturation Modes: Normal (subtle distortion, high dynamic range) and Fat (hotter signal, lower dynamic range).
- Optional Stereo Crosstalk which lends a sense of depth and three-dimensionality to your mixes.
- Filters (both low and high pass). Britson’s filters are tuned to sound sweet and pleasant to the ear.
- Saturation which can be disabled (when using Britson for trim and metering purposes exclusively).
- Three EQ Color Mode options(on Britson Buss instance) for use on your master track: Default (no color), Master Loudness, and Master Bright.
- Zero latency and no group delay.
- Carefully optimized algorithm for low CPU consumption. Britson allows for a remarkably high number of instances per session.
- Internal 64-bit floating point double-precision.
- Hassle-free installation. No activation or serial. Each buyer receives a personalized copy for use in the studio, on the laptop, etc.
Briston will be available to purchase on March 18th, 2014, priced at $39 USD.
More information: Sonimus
Solid State Logic has announce a trio of major new developments for their acclaimed Duende Native range of plug-ins at the 2014 ProLight & Sound Show (Hall 8. Stand L80).
The superior audio quality and deep feature set of the SSL Duende Native plug-in range has earned the respect of a very discerning clientele through the years. The three new plug-ins complement the existing range with two plug-ins (X-Saturator & X-ValveComp) designed to bring some analogue saturation and distortion emulation to your digital DAW and the third (X-Phase) delivering high precision frequency specific phase correction. The new plug-ins are due for public release by May 1st 2014. To coincide with the new plug-in release SSL has announced migration of the entire Duende Native plug-in collection to the iLok copy protection system. SSL has also announced a summer release for AAX versions of the entire suite.
“We’re excited to bring these new tools to the Duende family. Like the others in the Duende range the new plug-ins are a mix of easy-to-use sound sweeteners and technical problem-solvers.” says Jim Motely, Head Of Business for Workstation Partner Products at SSL. “By responding to our customer’s requests to move to what many see as the industry-standard copy protection system we hope to ensure that using Duende plug-ins is as simple an experience as possible”.
The plug-ins will be available from May, 2014. Release of versions of the entire Duende Native plug-in suite which are compatible with Avid AAX format and thus ProTools 11 are due for release in Q3 2014. The AAX versions will be free to all existing iLok based Duende Native plug-in owners.
More information: Solid State Logic / Duende Native
LVC-Audio has launched a beta of PhreePhuzz, a free saturation effect plug-in for Windows and Mac.
PhreePhuzz utilizes many underlying technologies used to create PreAMPed.
PhreePhuzz can be pushed into overt distortion; however, it excels at more gentle saturation effects. Each of the four saturation settings has emphasis on different frequency components.
PhreePhuzz can be used to give a track low-end saturation without dulling the high frequencies, or it can be used to give a shimmering high-end sparkle without muddying the bass.
- Virtual analog saturation simulator.
- 4x oversampling using linear phase filtering to ensure great high-end response.
- Four distinct saturation types, including separate saturation algorithms and multiband settings.
- Standard LVC-Audio controls, like A->B knob comparison and fine adjustment of knobs.
The public beta of the plug-in is available to download for Windows and Mac (VST/AU).
More information: LVC-Audio / PhreePhuzz
Dr. Speaker Blower has announced TNT, a free saturation effect plugin for Windows.
TNT is released for free in celebration of 15 years of Dr. Speaker Blower.
Meet TNT – a 32 bit PC VST plugin. Aimed for for vintage saturation/distortion sounds, this is not a new plugin but it is my last plugin. It has 2 flavours: single band and multi-band. Each version has mono and stereo components so we are talking of a total of 4 plugins!
Originally made in 2009 as an exclusive plugin for a customer, it was rescued in the beginning of this year as it was no longer used as he switched to Mac. During this year, it was given as a bonus download to all my customers and it is now available for free!
The TNT plug-in is available to download as freeware for Windows (VST).
More information: Dr. Speaker Blower
, Abbey Road
, effect plugins
Posted in news
on Oct 15, 2013 - 0 comments
Waves and Abbey Road Studios have launched the J37 tape saturation plugin, a precision model of the very machine used to record many of the greatest masterpieces in modern music.
With a variety of user-adjustable controls including Tape Speed, Bias, Noise, Saturation, Wow and Flutter, the Waves: Abbey Road J37 faithfully recreates the inimitable sonic signature of the original machine. In addition to the J37 itself, three exclusive oxide tape formulas have been modeled.
Specially developed by EMI during the ‘60s and ‘70s, each formula has its own unique frequency response and harmonic distortion behavior. In order to push the envelope even further, a comprehensive Tape Delay unit has been added to complement those warm tones.
The Waves: Abbey Road J37 tape emulation plugin will bring stunning analog warmth to your digital recordings, delivering a level of hardware realism never before experienced “in the box.”
Abbey Road J37 features
- Tape saturation plugin.
- Created in association with Abbey Road Studios.
- Modeled on the machine used to create countless classic ’60s tracks.
- Includes models of three exclusive tape formulas developed by EMI.
- Adds analog warmth to digital recordings.
- Controls for Bias, Wow, Flutter, Tape Speed and more.
- Comprehensive Tape Delay including three different delay types, Sync, LP and HP filter controls and more.
The J37 plug-in is available to purchase for the introductory price of $149 USD (Native) / $249 USD (Soundgrid).
More information: Waves / J37 Tape
OCD DSP has released OCS (Obsessive compulsive saturation), a free saturator effect plug-in for Windows.
OCS is a saturation unit inspired by the analogue behavior. It can be used as a console saturation unit but it can have a more sporadic approach as well.
By maximizing the input and minimizing the output you can drive the unit at its full capacity, the gain increase auto compensates when you use them like that.
For a mild console like usage, use a gain trim plugin by decreasing the input before the plugin and a trim to compensate the gain after the plugin. (-5 dBs on the trim before would work great for that effect/+5 on after plugin to compensate*)
OCS is available to download as a freeware VST plug-in (32bit) for Windows.
More information: OCD DSP
Klanghelm Audio Plugins has announced the release of SDRR, a saturation effect plug-in for Windows and Mac.
Klanghelm’s SDRR effect plugin in Tube mode.
SDRR was build to satisfy almost all of your saturation desires. It provides a comprehensive set of controls to manipulate the character of the saturation to make it fit exactly.
SDRR offers four different main modes: TUBE, DIGI, FUZZ, DESK and reacts dynamically to the input signal. Each mode has it’s unique crosstalk behaviour, which can be switched of or exagerrated. A unique RMS level difference metering mode makes level matching an easy task.
SDRR can be different things: a saturation, a compressor, an EQ, a bitcrusher, a subtle stereo widener, or simply add some movement to your tracks with the DRIFT control. Add warmth, depth and character to your tracks with SDRR.
The plug-in is available to purchase for Windows and Mac (VST/AU/RTAS), for the introductory price of 22 EUR.
More information: Klanghelm / SDRR