Remotify has announced the release of an update to its Control Surface Studio Ableton Live MIDI scripting software. Version 2.6 brings an overhaul to its ‘reactions’ mapping type, now giving users easy access to their entire Live session from the connected MIDI controller, without the need to write a single line of code.
‘Reactions’ for Control Surface Studio provides easy access to the ‘Live API’ via a series of customisable ‘Events’ and ‘Actions’. An ‘Event’ is ‘when something happens’ (for example, when a button is pressed on the midi controller), while an Action tells Ableton to ‘do something’ (for example, record a clip in the selected track for four bars). The two are connected together to create the user’s desired functionality.
Control Surface Studio 2.6 is useful in various cases:
- You want to control a device based on its name or type, regardless of its position in the device chain.
- You want to build a custom script for Ableton Push’s user mode.
- You want to add VU Metering to the pads on your midi controller.
- You want to record a clip for a specific number of bars (this number can even be dynamically set with a modifier).
- After recording your clip, you want to move the highlight to the next scene.
- You want to copy and paste the selected track or clip with a button press on your midi controller.
- You want to add navigation of Ableton’s browser with buttons on your midi controller.
Remotify.io founder, John Carney, says:
“If you use Ableton’s internal mapping mode but are finding it limited, then creating a custom Control Surface Script for your midi controller could be the answer. Control Surface Studio gives you the ability to create scripts for any midi-enabled gear you have. Maybe you have an old midi controller collecting dust, but with Control Surface Studio, you can give it a new lease of life for Ableton 9, 10 or 11 with a completely customised script. All of the code is generated automatically by the software, so you can get up and running quickly without the headache of learning python coding. And as these scripts work instantly across all Ableton projects, there’s no need to re-map each time you open a new project.”
Control Surface Studio for Windows and Mac is available for purchase for $97 USD for a limited time (regular $149 USD).