Karoryfer Samples has released Meatbass, a free double bass sample library in sfz format.
A large and meaty bassist’s large and meaty bass recorded with the help of a thin and bony producer. These are samples of a 1958 Otto Rubner acoustic double bass including bowed notes, plucked notes plus various muted plucks and percussive noises.
Arco is five velocity layers with two round robins across four octaves, pizzicato is four velocity layers with four round robins across three octaves, and percussion is eight different sounds with five round robins. All that adds up to a total of 434 samples and a 188 MB download (220 MB extracted). The bass was tuned in fifths, one octave below a cello, so the range of notes sampled goes down to C instead of the standard E, but the C string was also sampled tuned down to A.
- All notes sampled every minor third.
- Bowed notes with five velocity layers and two round robins across four octaves.
- Plucked notes with four velocity layers and four round robins across three octaves.
- Eight percussive sounds with five round robins.
- Release time and vibrato controls (depth, speed, delay and fade) mapped to MIDI CC.
- Additional mappings for three or six unison voices with detune and width controls.
- Unprocessed close-miked recordings without vibrato.
- 434 total samples in 24-bit 44.1 kHz WAV format.
- 188 MB download size, 220 MB extracted.
Meatbass is a free download. Requires Plogue Sforzando version 1.809 or newer for all the controls to function.