Madrona Labs has released version 1.6 of Aalto, a semi-modular synthesizer instrument for Windows and Mac.
Aalto’s sound engine lets you create sounds that have been difficult or impossible to make with softsynths before now. The heart of Aalto is a Buchla-inspired complex oscillator, with FM, timbre and waveshape controls that enable a wide range of expressive sounds. These sounds are uniquely malleable and alive, in part because they are made with dynamic calculation, not static wavetables.
Changes in Aalto v1.6
- Both AU and VST versions now use .mlpreset files in new JSON format.
- Added preset converter to convert all old presets to new format.
- Presets directory moved to ~/Music/Madrona Labs.
- Improved speed of preset loading.
- Fixed a problem with keyboard stealing in 64-bit VST.
- Now saving window size state properly in compatible DAWs.
- Fixed an issue with the oscillator and extreme pitch modulation.
- Added OSC enable / disable and port offset (Mac OS).
- Sequencer now quantizes to currently selected musical scale.
- Fix parameter loading when no DSP is active in application (for Max/MSP and Vienna Instruments).
- Fixed problem with sequencer retrig.
- Fixed defaults for envelope trigger and x vel.
- Added defaults to make MIDI patches more compatible with Soundplane / t3d.
- Added clearer display of multiple channels in scope dials.
- Fixed a bug affecting MIDI timing.
- Added multi-channel MIDI receive for voice-per-channel operation with Soundplane / t3d.
- Fixed an issue affecting Save as… on some systems.
- Improved graphics performance.
- Fixed a problem that prevented MIDI program changes on some systems.
- Fixed bug when no MIDI Programs folder was present.
- Scala keyboard mapping files (.kbm) now loaded if present in scales directory with same name as scale.
- Improved UI response for dials with only a few values.
- On Save as… outside normal patch directory, warn then allow anyway.
- Fix an issue loading patches if the home directory was renamed (Mac OS).
- Fixed a bug where a program change could cause t3d to stop receiving.
- Added environment menu that contains editor and OSC settings.
- Added “reset editor size” option in settings.
Aalto for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) is available for purchase for $99 USD.