A decade after its release as Moog Music’s first professional synthesizer for iOS devices, the award-winning Animoog Anisotropic Synth Engine (ASE) app sees a complete transformation, reborn as Animoog Z.
The evolved iteration of the app, now available for both iOS and macOS devices, is free to download in the App Store.
Animoog, the anisotropic wavetable synthesis app introduced by Moog Music in 2011, changed the face of iOS music production with its innovative approach to dimensional sound design and uniquely interactive touch surface interface. A full decade and more than 700,000 downloads later, Moog has completely redesigned the app—now Animoog Z—with more futuristic functionality and creative workflows for the next generation of producers and sound designers.
Animoog Z is an inspiring 16-voice polyphonic synthesizer that invites users to explore new concepts of multidimensional sound and performance. The app is powered by Moog’s innovative Anisotropic Synth Engine (ASE), which utilizes an orbit system to expand the concepts of wavetable and vector synthesis. This unique synthesis concept allows for dynamic navigation through the app’s X, Y, and Z axes for evolving and layered sound.
Visually captivating and sonically immersive, Animoog Z expands on what made the original Animoog the go-to iOS synthesizer for professional musicians and entry-level synthesists alike, now with a more streamlined user experience, powerful new features, and availability on more platforms.
Animoog Z features
- Multiplatform Experience: Share presets, timbres, and in-app purchases across your compatible Apple devices.
- Anisotropic Synth Engine (ASE): An exciting Moog technology that allows you to move through the X, Y, and Z axes of unique timbres to create an expressive and constantly evolving soundscape. Sonic modulations are visualized in real time, providing a multisensory feedback mechanism for sound creation.
- Polyphonic Modulation and Pitch Shifting: Control Animoog Z’s advanced touch surface keyboard with configurable scales, key distances, pitch correction, and glide. Simply slide your fingers to control multiple per-voice parameters in Animoog Z right from the keys.
- Timbre Editor: Go beyond simple sample playback and build unique sounds that evolve in multi-dimensional space. Select from a wide variety of built-in timbres or customize your sound by recording your own timbres (or import your own WAV files).• ENV/LFO Page: Articulate your dynamics with 3 independent six-stage DAHDSR envelopes for Amp, Filter, and Mod, each with loop and sync functionality. Give motion to your sound with 3 independent LFOs featuring continuously variable wave shapes, phase offset, delayed start, sync, and support for 1-8 repeats.
- MOD Page: Highly flexible modulation matrix with 10 lanes and a multitude of sources, controllers, and destinations—including global destinations like Delay and Thick. Use the Solo and Enable controls to explore complex modulations layer by layer.
- Effects Page: A collection of dynamic sound-altering and sound-augmenting effects with Delay, Chorus, Bitcrush, Filter, Arpeggiator, and Looper. Oscilloscope-style views display the output and impact of your effects.
- MIDI: Use your favorite MIDI controller to control Animoog Z (with full support for MPE input) or go MIDI out to use Animoog Z’s highly expressive keyboard to control your favorite instruments. Go even deeper with Animoog Z’s exhaustive MIDI CC mapping system featuring MIDI Learn, multiple destinations for a single CC, and detailed control of which presets are loaded with program change.
- Additional Features: Backwards compatibility with presets and timbres from the original Animoog, AUv3 support, 440Hz base frequency offset (+/- 10Hz), preset tagging, preset sharing, Global BPM, Tap Tempo, Ableton Link, keyboard typing and shortcuts, random presets, and undo/redo.
The universal app is available as a free download for iPad, iPhone, Mac, as an AUv3, and through a VST wrapper for integration in all DAWs that support AUv2, AUv3 and VST3. An upgrade in order to unlock Animoog Z’s full functionality is available for an introductory price of $9.99 USD.
More information: Moog Music