Louder Than Liftoff has announced that it is shipping the Royal Blue Colour Module, bringing the classic British console sound to Chroma and the Colour format, a new modular platform for creating your own custom analog signal chains.
Royal Blue’s circuit was inspired by the 1081 Channel Amplifier used in vintage Neve 80 Series recording consoles from the seventies. This legendary mic/line preamp and equalizer module featured discrete transistor amplifiers and transformer-coupled input and output stages.
Its powerful yet musical equalizer section was state of the art for its time with a whopping 6 bands. Louder Than Liftoff miniaturized the essence of this classic to fit within the space limitations of the Colour format. Multiple transistor amplifier stages drive a custom steel output transformer that offers the characteristic big tone one of the original LO2567.
We even recreated the 4.7 kHz Upper Presence shelving EQ per the original circuit and carefully dialled in a fixed 5 dB boost that sounds divine on just about everything. When ROYAL BLUE is outfitted in Chroma you have control over the amount of boost via the C-MIX knob. This EQ boost can also be disabled via an onboard solderless jumper. This meticulously crafted mini-1081 can be used to add hallmark Neve thickness and richness to individual tracks and mixes with aplomb.
Royal Blue features
- Inspired by 1081 modules used in vintage Neve 80 Series consoles.
- Discrete transistor circuitry adapted from BA306 and BA338 Neve amplifiers Tantalum capacitors and BC axial coupling caps like original design.
- Custom American made steel output transformer.
- Switchable 4.7 kHz “Upper Presence” shelving boost.
- Analog plugin compatible with Chroma
- Allows for “N” into “A” or “N” into “N” gain staging
- C-MIX knob allows EQ boost to be fully variable from 0 to 5 dB of boost.
- Compatible with DIYRE Colour.
The Royal Blue Colour module is available for $109 USD.
More information: Louder Than Liftoff