Toontrack has announced the release of the Urban Jazz Grooves MIDI pack and the Urban Jazz EZkeys MIDI pack, two individual collections of MIDI for drums and EZkeys.
Urban Jazz Grooves
Urban jazz is probably best described as a less busy, more pocket-oriented and backbeat-driven derivate of fusion. Basically, it’s a seamless blend that merges the subtleties of jazz, the technicality of fusion, the groove of funk and the power of rock.
For this collection of MIDI, drummer Luke Oswald, creative mind behind Toontrack’s hugely popular Fusion Grooves and Fusion Fills MIDI packs, gathered inspiration not only from his own experience but also from the genre’s forerunning artists such as Brian Culbertson, Jeff Lorber, Larry Coryell and Kirk Whalum as well as iconic drummers like Lil’ John Roberts, Chris Miskel, Omar Hakim and Oscar Seaton.
“My approach with this MIDI pack was to present a variety of grooves inspired by the distinct smooth jazz sound of the ’90s through to today. I also wanted the material to be very loop friendly, meaning if you take any groove as is, cut it up or mix it with other ones in the pack, it could still present that consistent, tight and backbeat-driven feel. Aside from urban and smooth jazz, I can easily envision this MIDI being used in anything from less busy fusion to rock, soul or even hip-hop,” he says.
Welcome to a collection of tight, backbeat-driven grooves, ideal for largely any songwriting application that calls for that special finesse and extraordinary detail only a great drummer can muster.
Urban Jazz Grooves MIDI features
- A backbeat-driven blend of jazz, fusion, rock and funk.
- Inspired by the smooth/urban jazz genre and iconic drummers like Lil’ John Roberts, Chris Miskel, Omar Hakim and Oscar Seaton.
- Performed by professional session drummer.
- Approx. 600 individually played files.
- Straight and swing variations with tempos ranging from 75 BPM to 120 BPM.
- Intro, verse, pre-chorus, chorus, bridge and fills sections.
Urban Jazz EZkeys MIDI
Add a little soul to a mix of jazz, fusion, rock and funk and you have the essence of the Urban Jazz EZkeys MIDI pack. Expect big chords, percussive patterns, intricate runs and harmonically challenging progressions for use in anything from ballads to uptempo songs.
Inspired by some of the greats, like Brian Culbertson, Jeff Lorber, Larry Coryell, Lee Ritenour, Peter White, Fourplay, Norman Brown and Kirk Whalum, this EZkeys MIDI pack takes a broad approach to a genre that literally has no musical boundaries.
Welcome to a collection of MIDI for any songwriter in need of a new creative toolset, perfect for sparking ideas for anything from urban jazz, avant-garde rock or fusion songs all the way down to modern soul or hip-hop beats.
Urban Jazz EZkeys MIDI features
- Piano MIDI inspired by the smooth and urban jazz genre.
- Performed by professional session player.
- 4/4 in straight and/or swing feel with tempos ranging from 64 BPM to 142 BPM.
- Artists used for reference: Brian Culbertson, Jeff Lorber, Larry Coryell, Lee Ritenour, Peter White, Fourplay, Norman Brown and Kirk Whalum.
- Intro, verse, pre-chorus, chorus and bridge sections.
Both packs are available at a 20% discount until the end of March, priced at 20 EUR/$23 USD (regular 25 EUR/$29 USD).
More information: Toontrack