Unfiltered Audio has announced the release of Zip, a compressor effect plugin that creates unique effects and solves thorny audio challenges in a flash, leaving traditional compressors in the dust.
Offering compression and downward expansion, the versatile Zip compressor can smash drums, supersize vocals, and transform a boring pad into a Trance anthem.
Zip can provide both compression and downward expansion, switching between processors with one mouse click. Six Analysis modes—Amplitude, Quietness, Brightness, Darkness, Noisiness and Tonalness—spark compression or expansion depending on the signal level, frequency content or noise feeding Zip’s input.
On bass guitar tracks, select Darkness mode to compress headroom-eating low notes while giving higher-pitched notes room to breathe. Using Noisiness mode, you can make Zip’s compressor clamp down only on overdriven electric guitar chords while leaving palm mutes on the same track loud and proud. Solving unusual audio challenges is child’s play for Zip.
- Unique Analysis modes and state-of-the-art modulation system turn Zip’s compressor and expander into tools for creating riveting effects and solving difficult audio challenges.
- Six Analysis modes—Amplitude, Quietness, Brightness, Darkness, Noisiness and Tonalness—make Zip’s processors react more to signal level, frequency content or noise.
- Four Envelope Styles—Classic, Goopy, Quick and Extreme—modify Zip’s attack and release curves, providing a selection of four differently behaving compressor/expanders in one plugin.
- Unfiltered Audio’s flagship automatable modulation system provides eight different internal modulators and a patch to an external ROLI Lightpad, all patchable—up to six modulators at once—to most of Zip’s controls.
- Modulators include Sine, Sawtooth/Triangle and Square LFOs; Input Follower; Macro Control; Sample and Hold Noise; Step Sequencer; ROLI Lightpad; and Gain Reduction.
- Continuously variable Color control provides post-dynamics processing in seven modes, respectively offering phase-modulated distortion, soft saturation, bitcrushing, and four 2-pole pass filters (two of which feature cutoffs modulated by Zip’s Analysis modes).
- Internal and external sidechains are equipped with High Pass and Low Pass filters and an Audition button for hearing the signal the detector acts on.
- Controls for wet/dry mix (for parallel compression), lookahead (affecting both sidechains), switchable peak or RMS detection, and automatic makeup gain.
- Informative real-time display graphically depicts the current threshold, ratio and knee, and shows multi-colored traces for sidechain, output and gain reduction levels.
Zip is available for Windows and Mac (VST/AU/AAX) for an intro price of $99 USD (regular $149 USD).