Note: this post is from 2009, outbound links may be broken.
Audacity updated to v1.3.8 Beta
Audacity, the free, open source software for recording and editing sounds, has been updated to version 1.3.8 Beta.
Changes in Audacity v1.3.8 Beta
- Effects and Analysis
- VST Effects now display GUI by default.
- Faster Equalization and Noise Removal; improved Truncate Silence and Click Track.
- Chains applied to files now clear temporary data after processing each file.
- Updated Nyquist implementation with support for SAL syntax and improved memory management.
- Plot Spectrum now analyzes up to 237.8 seconds of audio, with separate windows for each project and improved display; new preferences for Spectrograms.
- Contrast Analysis tool now modeless for easier use.
- Draft Manual/Quick Help included in Windows and Mac installers.
- New “Mixer Board” view with per-track VU meters.
- Mute, solo, gain, pan and track height saved in projects.
- More compact Preferences window with easier-to-use Keyboard tab and new toolbars shortcuts.
- New Screenshot Tools and improved screen reader support.
- Record more than 16 channels (hardware/drivers permitting).
- Improved support for non-mmap ALSA devices such as PulseAudio.
- 32-bit float data over 0 dB now handled without clipping.
- “Stop” option when importing preserves already imported data.
- AMR NB export now supported if the optional FFmpeg library is installed.
- Faster waveform drawing and better response in multi-track projects.
- Bug fixes
- Export Multiple: failed if empty label encountered; files silenced if overwriting imported WAV files without copying them in.
- Metadata Editor hidden if it was on a now unavailable second monitor.
- Misaligned audio after “Split New” or Noise Removal effect.
- Incorrect label movement and paste with linked audio and label tracks.
- Equalization, Cut Preview and Advanced Mixing Options dialogue.
- (Linux) Mixer Toolbar should now adjust levels and select input sources properly.
- “Audio cache” preference caused crashes – data is now only cached in memory if available RAM is above a level defined in preferences.
- Various other crashes.
Audacity is available for download for Windows, Mac and Linux/Unix (source code).
Please be aware of Known Issues at Release (also viewable in the included README.txt).
More information: Audacity