Sonic Charge has released version 3.1 of its Microtonic drum and percussion synthesizer combined with a pattern based drum-machine engine.
It is a free upgrade (as usual) and to many people the most interesting news is probably 64-bit compatibility. It also features new MIDI controlling possibilities (including pattern edits via MIDI CC) and a beautiful new skin with spacier layout and crispier pixels.
Changes in Microtonic v3.1
- First fully 64-bit compatible version.
- Supports MIDI CC out for updating MIDI controllers with current parameter values.
- Supports MIDI CC for mutes as well as MIDI keys.
- Supports using MIDI CC to perform pattern edits.
- Drum patches that are loaded from factory preset folders are now referenced to with relative file paths meaning that it will be easier to use the drum patch browser to change patches in factory presets.
- Signed packages on Mac OS X.
- Name of DLL’s changed from MicroTonic(Multi)VST.dll to Microtonic(Multi).dll only. Name of plugin is Microtonic from now on, not µTonic or MicroTonic. Logotype is still µTONIC.
- Fixed a bug where MIDI events occurring simultaneously would be processed in incorrect order, e.g. a note with 100% legato could stop the next note with its note off event.
- Max length of program name reported to host is 64 characters.
- De-initializes and releases all resources when last instance is removed from project.
- Updated to latest support libraries. Lots of minor stability and compatibility improvements.
- In the file browser, drum patches are previewed on the individual outputs that they will load into.
- Supports automatic online registration through Sonic Charge Authenticator.
- New skin. Bigger. Beautifuller. Spacier. Space is the future.
Microtonic for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) is available to purchase for $99 USD ex. VAT.
More information: Sonic Charge / Microtonic
Steinberg has announced the release of maintenance update version 7.0.4 of its Cubase and Cubase Artist music production software.
The fully supported update adds over 20 improvements such as enhanced visibility in MixConsole, new MIDI functions and Chord Track improvements and resolves more than 45 user-reported issues.
The update is now available for download from the Steinberg website. For detailed information please view the corresponding version history on the download page.
More information: Steinberg / Cubase
Posted in news
on May 15, 2013
Nektar has announced it has started shipping the Panorama P1, a compact control surface with 66 real-time controls, a color high-resolution TFT display and deep integration for Cubase, Nuendo and Reason.
Build on the established Panorama workflow originally developed for Reason, the latest Cubase and Nuendo support offers full navigation of the sequencer tracks, mixer, insert and instrument plug-ins as well as project navigation. Tactile control has never been more intuitive with parameters automatically mapped once a menu is selected. Panorama comes pre-mapped for more than 250 plug-ins including all Steinberg branded plug-ins. Each map can be customized by the user using the unique Panorama “Learn” function. Users can also utilize the “Learn” function to create basic maps for plug-ins that have not yet been pre-mapped by Nektar.
Just like the Reason implementation which has been regularly updated with support for Rack Extensions over the past 12 months, the Cubase and Nuendo implementation for Panorama will continue to evolve. New plug-in maps will be added regularly and provided free to all registered Panorama users.
Both worlds simultaneously
Panorama users who ReWire Reason to Cubase/Nuendo can also take advantage of the real-time DAW switching that allows Panorama to control either Reason or Cubase at any one time. There is no loss of control functionality so the full 3 modes, Mixer, Instrument and Transport are available as you switch back and forth between Cubase/Nuendo and Reason.
The TFT display provides ongoing navigation and parameter feedback so there is no need to look at the computer monitor. The ReWire switching is color coded to make sure you always know which DAW you are controlling.
Panorama P1 in addition is a comprehensive USB MIDI controller with an easy and transparent user interface. Each assignable control can be programmed to send MIDI messages and any of the buttons are capable of sending QWERTY macros of up to 8 computer shortcut commands, as well as be programmed to load any preset or map.
Panorama P1 is available now at music dealers dealers world wide for MSRP $349.99 USD/289.99 EUR/£244.99 GBP.
The Cubase/Nuendo implementation supports the entire Panorama range. Existing P4 and P6 users can download it immediately from the Nektar website.
More information: Nektar
Arto Varaala has updated the Kirnu Cream MIDI performer plug-in to v1.0.2.
Kirnu Cream is a very powerful MIDI performer VST/AU plugin for Windows and Mac. It works on both 32 and 64 bit systems.
Cream is intended to be used in both live and offline DAW usage.
Changes in Kirnu Cream v1.0.2
- Track key area ranges caused key area overlapping (i.e track 3 C5-B5, track 4 C6-B6 pressing C5 caused track 4 also to trigger). Fixed.
- Pattern step data copy/paste doesn’t work. Fixed.
- Stuck notes when Swing is used with Div and too low Gate length. Fixed.
- Fixed: Cream is now fully compatible with OS X 10.5.
- Fixed: Step indicator visuals are stuck on “off” steps.
- Fixed: Odd notes (1/16D,1/16T) handling.
Kirnu Cream is available to purchase for 35 EUR (Windows and Mac, VST/AU).
More information: Kirnu Cream
Tek’it Audio has announced version 2.1 of its Kutter 2 frequency cutter plug-in for Windows.
Using Kutter you can cut frequencies on the 12 band easily and breathe life into your sound using the step modulation sequencer to create trance gate effect, fading effect, chop your drums and a lot more with high precision.
This update focus mainly on the improvements of the user interface for a better usability and come with some optimizations and a new output gain control.
Changes in Kutter v2.1
- BUG wrong step number selected on the first preset when initialized, resolved.
- Added -6/+6 dB output gain control.
- Faster Undo initialization.
- SSE2 instruction sets requirement.
- Reduced plug-in load time.
- Better accuracy of the current step display at high frequency.
- GUI Added author website URL to the note pop-up.
- GUI Modified screen background color to gray.
- GUI Updated Info and Social Screens.
- GUI Updated URL’s.
- GUI Mix slider replaced by a rotary knob.
- GUI Moved sequencer control to the bottom.
- GUI other improvements.
- SETUP other small improvements.
- User Manual updated and improved.
- DEMO the plug-in now work without limitations for 10 minutes.
Kutter 2 for Windows (VST) is available to purchase for 29 EUR / $39 USD.
More information: Tek’it Audio / Kutter 2
, effect plugins
, multi fx
Posted in news
on May 15, 2013
Loomer has updated the Sequent modular multi-effects unit to version 1.3.11.
Sequent has seven individual effect blocks: a Beat Looper; two Filters, both switchable between lowpass, bandpass, and highpass modes and capable of self oscillation even without an audio input; an oversampled Distortion unit; a Gate with variable depth and slew; a Panner; and a Delay unit capable of sub millisecond delay times, great for creating everything for from dub, slapback, and bouncing ball style echoes, to metallic comb filters or flanger effects.
Changes in Sequent v1.3.11
- (fix: Mac OS X) Cables between effect modules can now be removed using a single button mouse.
- (fix: Mac OS X) Fixed issue which could cause Sequent to be skipped by Kore or Maschine’s plug-in scan.
- (fix: Mac OS X Audio Unit) Space key-presses will now always be passed through to Logic, ensuring that Logic’s transport can be started and stopped.
- (fix: Mac OS X) Gatekeeper signed installers now install correctly on Mac OS X 10.5.
- (improvement: Windows) The 32-bit and 64-bit VST plug-ins are now installed as separate components. You can choose which one(s) to install, as well as selecting different install folders for each architecture.
- (fix: Mac OS X Audio Unit) Fixed issue which caused Reaper to host new instances of Sequent as a mono plug-in.
- (fix: Mac OS X Audio Unit) Fixed minor memory leak in parameter names.
- (improvement) Clearer UI fonts in various places.
- (improvement: Linux) Presets and configuration files are now located to comply with the XDG Base Directory Specification. Older installations will still use any existing preset library location to maintain backwards compatibility.
Sequent for Windows, Mac and Linux is available to purchase for £49 GBP.
More information: Loomer / Sequent