Guy Jackson of Arclight Projects has launched an Indiegogo campaign for the Lumen, a fully self-contained electronic percussion instrument in the form of a traditional handpan.
The Lumen is an electronic percussion instrument in the form of a handpan, which provides the unique playing experience of it’s acoustic inspiration, with the added benefits that electronics bring. It features built-in amplified speakers, an advanced on-board audio processor and full velocity sensitivity.
We want artists around the world to be able to pick up the instrument, turn it on and play – no need to connect to any other equipment. Being an electronic instrument, you can of course output the audio signal or MIDI messages straight from the Lumen.
- Multiple Sample Sets — The Lumen contains samples sets from a number of handpan manufacturers out of the box, with additional samples sets planned for download.
- Self Contained — There’s no requirement to connect the Lumen to a computer, iPad or DAW for playback. High quality, full range amplified speakers are built-in. Pick it up, turn it on and play.
- Velocity Sensitive — The Lumen’s sensors are fully velocity sensitive, mimicing as closely as possible the experience of playing an acoustic handpan.
- Tuning — The active sample set can be tuned to any key, using a dial which ensures that your adjustments are stepped in semitones.
- MIDI Out — With it’s MIDI out port, the Lumen can act as a MIDI controller, allowing you to play any instrument.
- Audio Out — A 3.5mm headphone jack provides audio out capabilities – plug in your headset, external speakers or record sounds directly from the Lumen.
- Surprise — There’s an additional feature of the Lumen which will be announced closer to it’s release date. Suffice it to say, the Lumen will be a unique musical experience.
The campaign aims to raise $70,000 USD. Backers can get the Lumen starting at the Super Early Birds price of $499 USD.