Difficult Audio has released RetroSound MK100, a virtual instrument for Kontakt that offers a synth and drum machine based on the early 80s Yamaha MK100.
RetroSound MK100 features the 12 main preset sounds of the original hardware MK100 PortaSound keyboard.
All synth presets can be customised with different waveforms and envelopes in exactly the same way as the hardware, together with the chorus and tremolo effects.
In addition we have the ability to bring Kontakt’s synth engine to bear on the source sounds, so each of the two synth layers can have it’s own independent filter and envelope settings.
All the preset drum patterns and fills are present, as is the Custom Drummer. The drum voices aren’t just limited to the straight preset sounds on the hardware, but can be modified in a number ways – and in addition to the real-time pattern recording from the original, a full graphic step editor lets you edit your patterns, as well as full MIDI keyboard driven operation for real-time jamming and creative sessions.
And the effects page ties it all together with a reverb and delay, and some other output effects to further shape the output – or you can just leave the FX off and use your usual plugins as required.
RetroSound MK100 features
- Sampled at 24-bit 44.1Khz, Output to 16-bit 44.1KHz NCW.
- 49 chromatic samples per Wave, 17 Waves in total, 6 sampled drum sounds Synth.
- All the 12 presets & synthesis options (“1376 combinations”) of the hardware.
- Extended synthesis features – independent filter, filter and amp envelopes for each of the two Waves.
- Integrated Rhythm/Drum machine.
- All 36 preset patterns and 36 fills of the hardware.
- Custom Drummer for programming user patterns.
- Step drum pattern editor.
- Real-time pattern recording.
- Pattern recording/playback triggering, voice selection and editing from MIDI keyboard.
- Individual drum sounds can be edited with pitch, envelope and FX controls.
- Individual drum outputs, Host Sync and Transport support.
- Effects – Reverb, Delay, Phaser.
- Global Effects – Warmth, Wide, Compression, Speaker.
- Authentic interface.
- Four main pages – Main, Synth, Rhythm, Effects.
- Host Automation support.
- Snapshots and Multis included.
RetroSound MK100 is available from Kontakt Hub for £20 GBP + VAT.