Karoryfer has launched Gogodze Phu Vol II, a free set of acoustic drum samples inspired mainly by the lo-fi and dead drum sound on Kim Jung Mi’s 1973 album “Now”.
Not many people really want drums that are that lo-fi all the time, though, so we took the recordings and made a variable-fidelity kit, not by applying typical lo-fi effects but only by messing with the phase, mix and tuning of the seven microphones we recorded everything with.
The drums are heavily dampened, so the sound cuts much more than it rings out – we were pleasantly surprised by just how much they can sound like the perfect old-school soul drums for hip-hop.
Gogodze Phu Vol II features
- Kick, snare, hi-hat and three toms.
- Heavily dampened drums for a short, cutting sound.
- Hi-hat with five degrees of openness plus foot chicks.
- All kit pieces recorded with the same seven microphones.
- Fidelity control for setting the microphone phase alignment.
- Mixes ranging from one mic for the entire kit to all seven.
- Four mic mix in the classic Glyn Johns setup.
- Additional controls for kick dirt, snare fat, hi-hat trash and tom thud.
- 1701 total WAV samples, over 400 MB extracted.
Gogodze Phu Vol II is a free download for Plogue Sforzando 1.933 or newer as part of the KVR Developer Challenge 2018.
More information: Karoryfer Samples