Native Instruments has announced the release of Scarbee MM-Bass, MM-Bass Amped and Pre-Bass Amped, three new bass instruments for PC and Mac.
Native Instruments today introduced SCARBEE MM-BASS, a new software instrument that provides an authentic rendition of the distinctive Musicman Sterling electric bass. MM-BASS is based on the acclaimed Scarbee Black Bass library, and is the latest release in the partnership between Native Instruments and sampling expert Thomas Hansen Skarbye.
Powered by the industry-leading KONTAKT engine and playable both via the free KONTAKT PLAYER or the full KONTAKT sampler, SCARBEE MM-BASS recreates the full sonic spectrum of the Sterling bass guitar, a modern classic whose characteristic tone has become a mainstay for funk, hip-hop, disco and similar groove-oriented genres. The instrument was created with assistance from seminal producer Nile Rodgers, and is available in two separate versions that address different musical applications and production requirements. The standard version was recorded through a DI box for a clean “funk” sound, and retains full flexibility for individual re-amping and further sound processing. The optional “Amped” version offers the choice between four different amp characteristics, providing various ready-to-record tones for rock, pop and urban genres.
MM-Bass / MM-Bass Amped features
- Playable in real time – with the exception of cross hammering and trills all of the articulations in the list given further below can be triggered without the need for any keyswitches. Eg. Hammer-on & pull-offs are triggered by legato playing and fast grace notes by fast legato playing.
- A powerful user interface that pushes the Kontakt user interface to its limits: a fretboard display gives an overview of the playing position and for each string what fret and articulation (displayed as a unique symbol) that are used & dynamically updated as you play.
- All four strings sampled, more than 4 000 samples and up to 9 velocity layers to capture the full timbre of the bass.
- Each string is monophonicso new notes replace earlier notes, giving a perfectly realistic bass.
- Automatic string selection – play and the script selects the most suitable string for you. Use keyswitches to limit the string choice or to move the active playing position (placement of left hand). The automatic string selection is tailor-made to work well with every articulation.
- Automatic alternation of right hand index and middle finger samples (can also be controlled using keyswitches).
- Convenient keyswitch mode – a keyswitch effects the following note or remains active as long as it’s pressed – making it easy to quickly return to the default mode of operation.
- Slide mode – play a note legato while holding the sustain pedal pressed to trigger a slide. The velocity will determine a slide speed anywhere between 60 to 480 bpm. Slides use real interval transitions sampled in three different speeds for realism and employ a new technique invented by Skarbye/Liberg to significantly reduce RAM usage. Slides are available for every interval up to an octave down and up from the current note. It’s also possible to play multiple slides consecutively going up and then down alternately.
- Chord mode – makes it possible for notes to be automatically assigned to the right strings even if the notes of a chord don’t arrive exactly at the same time.
- Control over release samples – random alternation between different release samples where the proportion of each can be controlled by the user. Select a default release type and use a keyswitch to toggle between the chosen default behaviour and other types.
- Pickup-hits – randomly inserted where they are most likely to occur in real-life playing. The user can set the probability of a pickup-hit to occur.
- The sound of Mr. Scarbee’s own fingers.
- Bass recorded DI to give you maximum flexibility in the sound production (MM-Bass).
- Four different amp setups (MM-Bass Amped):
- Fat is a round and tight bass sound specially produced for rock and pop oriented music productions.
- Heavy is an edgy and hard bass sound specially produced for heavy rock oriented music productions.
- Crunchy is a powerful and mildly distorted bass sound specially produced for rock oriented music productions.
- Pop is a fat and crispy bass sound specially produced for R&B and pop oriented music productions.
- EQ and Effect Presets – direct in the instrument user interface.
- Integrated documentation for all settings – direct in the instrument user interface.
- Articulations and Playing Techniques: Sustains, Mutes, Harmonics, Hammer-on, Pull-off, Fast grace notes, Slides – in practically any speed and any interval, Trills and trill-tails, Buzz-trills, Cross hammering, Chords, Chord slides, Percussive slides, Index and middle finger alternation, Two different sets of release samples: loose and tight, Pickup-hit noises, Fret noises.
Scrabee Pre-Bass Amped expands on the already available Pre-Bass instrument by providing additional versions of the instrument recorded through the same four different amplifiers as the MM-Bass Amped instrument.
Scarbee MM-Bass is available for PC and Mac for $89 USD / 79 EUR. MM-Bass Amped and Pre-Bass Amped are available for purchase in the NI Online Shop, priced at $119 USD / 99 EUR each.
More information: Native Instruments