Sonokinetic has announced the release of Qanun, a multi-sampled and performance sampled Qanun instrument for Native Instruments Kontakt.
This instrument complements our other Arabic instruments such as Ney and Kemence to build an ethnic ensemble. The Qanun has been played for centuries and feels right at home in our collection of deep sampled ethnic instruments and vocals.
The Qanun (also known as Qanoun and Kanun) is a dulcimer or zither-like instrument of 81 strings stretched over a frame and plucked with the fingers or picks. Its distinctive tone comes from the grouping of strings and levers which create the scales.
Our Qanun was recorded in Istanbul by our long-standing friend, expert engineer and composer Ceyda Pirali in high fidelity audio quality. The player is the renowned performer Gunay Celik who learnt his craft at the State Turkish Music Conservatory. He studied the playing styles and techniques for many years before becoming a master in 1992. He taught Qanun at university level and has played with the İstanbul University Ensemble and Ayangil Turkish Music Orchestra. His credits also include many performances with Turkish radio and television. Currently, Gunay is working at the State of Turkish Classical Music Ensemble. He has kindly agreed to allow us to capture his unique playing style with traditional songs and hundreds of improvisations.
For the multisampled playable instrument we have captured multiple round robins and velocity layers so that you can play the instrument chromatically. For the improvisations and songs, Sonokinetic Qanun features tempo-synced performances in root keys. These samples are wrapped in an intuitive interface which makes playing this instrument a pleasure. In addition, the convolution reverb creates an unparalleled ambience, evoking the spirit of Arabia.
- 6.6 GB sample pool, 14934 samples.
- 3 playing styles: Multisampled, Songs and Improvisations.
- Tempo-synced performances, pitched to root key.
- ITM (Intelligent Time Machine) function for half and double time tempo-syncing.
- Kontakt 5 optimized “Time machine Pro” programming.
- Mod wheel phrase start control.
- Full sustains up to 10 seconds long.
- Multiple round robin samples.
- 1 realistic impulse response.
- Multiple velocity layers.
- Automatic RAM loading and purging.
- Custom designed interface.
- Open Kontakt format for complete user customisation (Kontakt 4.2.4 or 5 Full version only, NOT compatible with the free Kontakt Player).
- Royalty and copyright free content license.
- Qanun Reference document (PDF).
The Qanun library is available to purchase for 49.90 EUR.