Vienna Symphonic Library has announced the release of Vienna MIR, the first ever whole-space mixing solution that puts real-world depth and dimension into the palm of your hand.
After several years of research and development, our groundbreaking mixing and reverberation host, based on Multi-Impulse Response convolution, renders space as the unifying presence that merges every single instrument into one authentic sound experience.
In traditional production, the mixing console is a barrier between the music creator and the music environment. A skilled engineer can combine tracks and add reverb to create sonic results that are somewhere between real and surreal. But that’s not the most musical way to work.
Rather than mixing from the outside in, a Vienna MIR project starts with each individual instrument or ensemble, taking into account how sound emanates from its body, in what direction, and in relation to its position in the hall. Use the MIR Control Icon to move and rotate instruments freely on the concert stage, and change their volume and stereo width – not with two-dimensional faders and pan pots, but within a fluid three-dimensional environment. Vienna MIR combines directional and reflectional information from every instrument, assembling all of the acoustic interactions into an accurate and satisfying recreation of musicians playing their instruments in place and in space. Short of recording an orchestra on site, what could be more musical?
Vienna MIR features
- Includes 5 halls of the Vienna Konzerthaus with a total of over 11,000 (!) impulse responses. More acoustic spaces will soon be offered as additional download products.
- Graphic user interface depicting 3D renderings of the selected room (venue maps) with scroll wheel zooming.
- Intuitive multi-parameter Control Icon for quick interaction with instruments and visual feedback – and direct access to the connected Vienna Instrument.
- Microphone Position Offset allowing for movement of virtual microphones in the room.
- GUI options such as Instrument Grouping, Hide Icon, Instrument Focus.
- Room EQ and Master EQ.
- Pre-listening feature before selecting a room.
- Character Presets (such as ‘Air’, ‘Silk’, ‘Bite’, ‘Distant’, ‘Warm’) for quick timbral changes, available for most Vienna Instruments.
- Adjustable Room Tone (natural noise floor).
Vienna MIR is available as a standalone application for Vista/Windows 7 64-bit systems only. It runs exclusively with Vienna Instruments. The Vienna MIR license is 795 EUR.
More information: Vienna Symphonic Library