Pioneer DJ has introduced the TORAIZ AS-1, a monophonic analog synthesizer developed in collaboration with Dave Smith.
The TORAIZ AS-1 is driven by a fully programmable, true analog synthesis engine based on the discrete analog circuitry in Dave Smith Instruments’ Prophet-6 synthesizer – a modern reboot of his classic Prophet-5. Working closely with Dave Smith himself, we’ve created a synthesizer that produces powerful analog sound and makes an ideal addition to the set-ups of professional and aspiring producers.
Our experience in making DJ equipment and production gear has been poured into the development of the new synthesizer’s user interface and performance features. The intuitive controls include parameter knobs that let you make both subtle and dramatic changes to the tone of your music to create your own personalized sound. You can use the touchpad-style keyboard and slider to manipulate sounds during performances. Also, it’s easy to manipulate the seven on-board effects, which – with the addition of a brand-new digital distortion – come from the Prophet-6 synthesizer
You can connect the TORAIZ AS-1 synthesizer to the TORAIZ SP-16 live sampler via MIDI and use the sampler’s sophisticated sequencer to create even more complex patterns with the powerful analog sounds you’ve created in the synthesizer. Together, the two TORAIZ instruments can be connected to your DJM mixer via Pro DJ Link and MIDI, creating a set-up where the CDJs play the track, the TORAIZ SP-16 adds loops and one-shots, and the TORAIZ AS-1 generates unique analog leads in sync with the BPM of the music.
TORAIZ AS-1 features
- Collaboration with Dave Smith: Working closely with Dave Smith himself, we have created a synth that produces powerful analogue sound. The TORAIZ AS-1 is an ideal addition to the setups of professional and aspiring producers.
- Prophet-6 analogue sound: The AS-1 is based on the same analogue filters as Dave Smith’s renowned Prophet-6 synthesiser. It has 2 voltage-controlled oscillators (VCO) with continuously-variable triangle, sawtooth, and pulse wave shapes. Sculpt your sound using the 2 voltage-controlled filters (VCF), a 4-pole, resonant low-pass filter that can self-oscillate, and a 2-pole, resonant high-pass filter.
- Full programmability: Use the TORAIZ AS-1 to create one-of-a-kind sounds using 2 VCOs, 2 VCFs, and VCA, 2 EGs and 1 LFO, then save each sound and its parameter settings as a program so you can instantly access it later.
- 495 presets: The inspiring 495 preset programmes each have a different sound and 64-step sequence that can be edited separately. You can also save up to 495 of your own programmes in the 5 user banks.
- Prophet-6 FX: Be creative with the Prophet-6-derived dual FX engine and use a single effect or pair 2 together to add extra texture to your sounds. FX includes Bucket Brigade Delay, Distortion, Ring Modulation, Chorus and Maestro Phaser.
- Keyboard & scale mode: The TORAIZ AS-1 will make sure your performance is in perfect harmony as you perform the sounds you create with the touchpad keyboard or change the notes assigned to the keys with Scale Mode.
- Slider: Add dynamic changes to your performance by using the slider to manipulate 7 different parameters. Change the pitch of 2 oscillators, adjust the amount of FX and more.
- Arpeggiator: Be ready to experiment: perform a repeating chord pattern and change it in real time, try out different scales, match scales with a track during playback, and more.
- 64-step sequencer: Give your performance the edge with the 64-step sequencer. Step recording of patterns, changing the musical key, editing the sound without editing the pattern – it’s all possible.
- Creative DJ setup: Create even more complex patterns by connecting the TORAIZ AS-1 synth to the TORAIZ SP-16 live sampler via MIDI. Or take it to the booth and connect the sampler to your DJ setup via Pro DJ Link: The CDJs play the track, the TORAIZ SP-16 adds loops and one-shots, and the TORAIZ AS-1 generates unique analogue leads.
The TORAIZ AS-1 will be available in the United States and Canada in March 2017, with a retail price of $499 USD.
Pioneer DJ has also announced planned updates for the TORAIZ SP-16 sampler & step sequencer.
A February release will offer optimized MIDI track enabling control over the AS-1, changing pad scale mode for sample and MIDI tracks, analog filter insert to individual tracks, import/export scene files across project files and new Ducker & Phaser effects.
For Spring 2017, an update will allow for sampling and playing the input signal on the fly.
All new feature and improvement suggestions are currently being investigated, and further news on the the planned ‘SPRING 2017 RELEASE’ will be available as soon as the schedule is confirmed.
More information: Pioneer DJ