Ichiro Toda has released version 1.08 of Synth1, a free virtual synthesizer instrument plug-in for Windows.
Synth1 is a software synthesizer for computer music use. It is VSTi compatible. The current version is freeware. Functionally it is modelled on the Clavia Nord Lead 2 Red Synth.
Changes in Synth1 v1.08
- DXi version was discontinued due to difficulty of development environment maintenance.
- Synth1 installer was discontinued. Instead a tool (initsetteings.exe) for setting Windows registry configuration is included.
- Number of the banks was expanded to 100. The setting initialization tool sets to bank00 – 09, but does not set bank10 – 99. Folders have to be prepared manually for use with bank10 – 99 (setting in optional dialog).
- Fixed: MIDI tab of the optional dialogue was replaced without permission.
- Fixed: Program change error.
Synth1 is available to download as a freeware VST instrument plug-in for Windows PC.
More information: Synth1
Stephan Müsch (Rsmus7/Etienne) has created a second soundbank for Synth1: ACK2.
Like ACK (Ambient Construction Kit) ACK2 contains 128 presets for Synth1 mainly aimed at ambient music.
- 12 arp presets
- 4 bass presets
- 26 pad presets
- 16 lead presets
- 42 rym presets
- 14 sfx presets
- 14 tex drone presets
You can download ACK2 from Stephan Müsch’s website.
Stephan Müsch (Rsmus7/Etienne) has created ACK (ambient construction kit), a soundbank for Synth1.
ACK is aimed at ambient music and contains a wide range of leads, pads, textures, rythmic patches, SFX, basses, percussion and synth sounds: 128 presets in total.
Check this demo song of 10 minutes for a live recording of some 40 presets in this bank and this song was done entirely with sounds from the ACK soundbank. (Update 26-05-2008: Stephan’s mp3s were hosted on Panicnow, which has ended its service).
You can download ACK from Stephan Müsch’s website (free registration required).
Ichiro Toda has updated Synth1 to v1.07 (not beta anymore).
My Japanese is a bit rusty so I can’t say what changed exactly, but obviously it has to do with the Play Mode, the Phaser effect and the GUI.
- Play Mode
- ユニゾンステレオ化及び、stereo spreadつまみの追加
Check Ichiro Toda‘s website for more information and a link to download Synth1 v1.07.
A small update is available at the Ichiro Toda webpage:
v1.07 alpha2 changes:
- GUI: Slider Window indication when inputting the GUI knob was made option treatment (So says the Babel Fish).
- Fixed DXi crashing.
Synth1 is a great freeware VSTi synth, check it out if you haven’t before.
From the Ichiro Toda webpage:
Synth1 is a software synthesizer for computer music use. It is both VSTi and DX compatible. The current version is freeware.
Functionally it is modelled on the Clavia Nord Lead 2Red Synth ; with the following characteristics:
- 2 Oscillators, FM modulation, ring modulation,sync,modulation envelope
- 4 types of filters, distortion
- 2LFO(synchronized with host)
- Arpeggiator (synchronized with host)
- Tempo delay (synchronized with host), stereo chorus/flanger
- Legato mode, portamento
- 16 notes polyphony
- 128 presets
- Thoroughly optimized for light CPU load using SSE instructions etc. It is quite possible to run 10 simultaneous instances on a Celeron 1.4 GHz system
- Automation (only in VSTi mode)
As to what is updated exactly is not totally clear to me for I do not read Japanese, but for those who do:
Update: KVR has a partial Japanese-English translation, so here’s what’s new. I will leave the Japanese info below since it looks kinda cool ;-)
- Added OSC1 8 multiplex knob
- Smooth conversion of OSC2 pitch knob
- The LFO change quantity of PW from -PI up to +PI modification
- Amount now +-63 (Previously 0-127)
- Added PAN to modulation destinations
- Added Effect
- Tempo Delay
- Sound at time of delay time modification tape echo (?)
- Converts to stereo
- Now three delay types: normal stereo (ST), cross feedback (X) and ping pong (PP)
- Spread control added
- Level knob removed / D/W added (?)
- Internal processing modified extensively
- RATE now in Hz (0.01Hz – 400Hz)
- Super short circuit time (0.05ms, was previously 0.3ms)
- Feedback +/- 99% (previously 0-127)
- Play Mode
- Play Mode: Added detune knob to the Unison section
- Internal processing optimized
- OSC1 8å¤šé‡¿ãƒ‡ãƒ¿ãƒ¥ãƒ¼ãƒ³ã¿¤ã¿¾ã¿¿ã¿®è¿½åŠ
- OSC2 pitchã¿¤ã¿¾ã¿¿ã¿®ã‚¹ãƒ ãƒ¼ã‚ºåŒ–
- Tempo Delay
- ãƒ‡ã‚£ãƒ¬ã‚¤ã‚¿ã‚¤ãƒ å¤‰æ›´æ™‚ã¿®éŸ³ã‚’ãƒ†ãƒ¼ãƒ—ã‚¨ã‚³ãƒ¼ã¿£ã¿½ã¿¿ã€‚ã€‚ã€‚
- å·¦å¿³ã¿®ãƒ‡ã‚£ãƒ¬ã‚¤ã‚¿ã‚¤ãƒ ã‚’å¾®å¦™ã¿«ã¿šã‚‰ã¿™ãƒ‘ãƒ©ãƒ¡ã‚¿è¿½åŠ (spread)
- Play Mode