, effect plugins
, instrument plugins
, Rob Papen
, sound design
Posted in news
on Mar 01, 2013
Gobbler has announced another Gobbler’s Favorite Things contest, offering a chance to win various Rob Papen products.
Rob Papen is the master of sound design. He’s put out a ton of plug-ins that are not only extraordinarily powerful but also contain extremely versatile User Interfaces, which is quite the challenge in the music technology world.
This week we’re giving away not one, but two copies of Rob Papen’s eXplorer II bundle containing almost all of his prized plug-ins as well as 2 copies of Rob’s new book titled The Secrets of Subtractive Synthesis: The 4 Element Synth. We’ve read the book at Gobbler HQ and with 10 hours of DVD footage, it’s sure to keep you busy as you dig deeper into this master’s insight into the world of subtractive synthesis!
The contest ends 3 March, 2013, 11:59:59PM PST.
More information: Gobbler
Plugin Boutique has announced it is offering 1,000 free all-access passes to Groove3‘s pro music production tutorials.
Looking for some great pro music production tutorials to improve your music making? Our sister site Plugin Boutique have teamed up with some time pro music production tutorial providers Groove3 to offer you a great deal. Just like the Plugin Boutique Facebook page to get a unique code you can redeem for 30 days all-access to their online training videos.
With over 56 categories of pro music production tutorials covering things like popular DAWS, popular plugins, music theory, synthesis, mastering techniques and much more, we’re sure you’ll be happy!
There are 1,000 unique codes to give away, so don’t miss it.
More information: Groove3 All-Access Pass Giveaway
DyVision Works has announced the release of the VideoTape Emulator, an effect plugin that emulates the classic and imperfect texture imparted to audio recorded on video tape.
Take your perfectly good audio and mangle it with an emulation of analog video tape.
Towards the end of its technological life cycle video tape had surprisingly good audio quality. But as anybody who remembers the 80s, video rental stores, and ‘video nasties’ knows, this was not always the case. VCRs & tape could impart an almost overbearing sonic signature to audio material due to factors such as :
- Stretched, worn, or mangled tape
- Misaligned heads or rollers
- Sticky reels
- Demagnetized tape
- Magnetized heads
- Inherant noise problems worsened by
- Overzealous audio compressors / limiters
- Poor quality ‘consumer grade’ electronics
- Variation between different machines
Just like vinyl, the qualities of video tape have the ability to instantly invoke the feel of a certin era. It was considered crap at the time, but then again so were analog synthesizers.
The VideoTape plug-in for Windows (VST) is available to purchase for 31.65 EUR.
More information: DyVision Works / VideoTape Emulator
Hal Leonard Books has announced it is shipping Studio One for Engineers and Producers, a Quick Pro Guide is specifically designed to help engineers and producers who are already comfortable using another DAW software platform make the transition to Studio One.
The author and audio engineer Bill Edstrom says: “I’ve done projects in just about every DAW on the market. To use most of these systems you need to be in a very technical frame of mind. I was looking for something simpler – something to get creative songwriting ideas out. That’s when I discovered Studio One.”
Studio One for Engineers and Producers starts by relating Studio One’s layout and functionality to other common DAWs, to identify the most important similarities and differences. It then follows the creative process through the normal progression of a modern recording/production. This new cross-platform (Mac/PC) DAW is built from the ground up for speed, efficiency, and power; Studio One for Engineers and Producers is the perfect tool to shorten the pathway from installation to inspiration!
The book is accompanied with 12 new video tutorials covering the key concepts. Studio One for Engineers and Producers demonstrates the creative, practical, and technical benefits provided by PreSonus in this modern, well-developed, flexible, and user-friendly application. All instruction is presented in straightforward and simple language that gets right to the point, taking into consideration the need for amateurs, home studio owners, and commercial professionals to get up to speed very quickly. Readers will enjoy the numerous tips and real world examples. Edstrom adds: “I was recording with Studio One as a canvas for creativity. But I realized that I could produce music end to end without really needing to use other tools. In short, Studio One is fun to use!”
The book is available to purchase for $16.99 USD.
More information: Hal Leonard Books / Studio One for Engineers and Producers
Mixnotes.tv has announced the release of new premium content on its website, including a ew video lessons covering all things mixing vocals related as well as an assortment of presets for Massive.
New premium content at Mixnotes.tv
- Mixing Vocals: In this lesson we show you 2 basic ways of mixing vocals. The 1st approach is a traditional way of EQ / compression / routing reverbs and delays. We walk through how to listen for bad resonances in a vocal and then show you where to find them and how to solve your problems via any EQ. We show you compression techniques, reverbs, delays and all of the fundamental ingredients you need to get your vocals to sit on top of a mix in a musical way. In the 2nd approach we walk through mixing vocals using some of the new “all in one vocal” plugins you’ll see from Waves and Izotope. I show you how to route and break down a system so you can have total control of your sound in a quick and easy way. We also discuss the pros and cons of working this way.
- Massive Presets: 133 Massive Presets! Big synth leads, sweet pads, thumping bass sounds and killer FX make this collection a must have for anyone looking to tighten their production game. Designed from the ground up, each preset offers you the control and flexibility you need to make your music come to life the way you want it to. Producer Jonathan Roye was meticulous in the programming of this massive
collection of sounds.
The Mixing Vocals tutorial is available to purchase for $35 USD, the Massive Presets Vol.1 soundset costs $20 USD.
More information: Mixnotes.tv
AskVideo has released Maschine Virtuosity, Diva Demystified & MachFive 3 Unleashed, three new video courses.
- Maschine Virtuosity – Watching Jeremy Ellis demonstrate his legendary finger drumming techniques on Native Instruments’ amazing Maschine is like throwing gasoline on a fire… the result is very, very hot! Learn the secrets of drum pad performance in this exclusive course from the world’s foremost finger drumming virtuoso.
- Diva Demystified – u-he Diva is a hungry synth! Hungry to produce the most retro synth sounds of the not-so-distant past. Dig into this deep, Dinosaur Impersonating Virtual Analog synthesizer with synthesist, Rishabh Rajan, and see how you can bring the sounds of the past rushing back to the present!
- MachFive 3 Unleashed – MachFive 3 – MOTU’s massive, mothership of a sampler – is full-featured and very deep! But have no fear because MOTU software consultant Matt Vanacoro is here to demystify it! So get ready to learn MachFive 3 faster than the speed of sound in this inspiring 29-tutorial course!
The courses are available to AskVideo’s Full Library Pass members (starting at $25/month).
More information: AskVideo