CoolSoft has announced version 2.0 of VirtualMIDISynth, a free software MIDI synthesizer that uses SoundFonts.
VirtualMIDISynth is a software MIDI synthesizer implemented as a Windows multimedia user driver, accessible as a standard MIDI Out device.
Changes in VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0
- Multiple virtual devices supported (up to 4), each one with its soundfont configuration.
- No more DLL conflicts, driver component (loaded by MIDI client) is now lightweight and independent from the synth component.
- MIDI Mixer can now stay open when play stops.
- MIDI Mixer can now be kept on top of other windows.
- Instant play start (if synth is already started), no more soundfont load delay.
- Integrated MIDI –> WAV/MP3/FLAC converter to easily perform MIDI file conversion.
- Soundfont configuration editor to set bank, preset and volume. It also shows soundfont details like contained presets.
- Native 64bit for 64bit operating systems; now all the available system memory can be used to load soundfonts.
- Integration with CoolSoft MIDIMapper.
- Customizable MIDI client blacklist to exclude misbehaving clients.
- Redesigned (and resizable) configuration dialog.
- Configuration report feature, to ease bug reporting.
- Version 2.x introduces some other architectural changes, see here for further technical details about them (respect to 1.x series).
VirtualMIDISynth is a free download for 32- and 64-bit Windows.
More information: CoolSoft / VirtualMIDISynth