Bolder Sounds has released Soprano and Baritone African Marimbas, a free sound offering features a Baritone and Soprano African Marimbas sampled with resonators.
You will see 3 instrument ﬁles – The Soprano, Baritone and a instrument called Soprano Bari Marimba Mix. This is a keymap with both the Baritone and Soprano Marimbas combined. Since the Baritone and Soprano overlap in range (Baritone- G1 to G3 & Soprano C3 to C5) I chose to delete some of the Soprano Marimbas lower notes.
Also, Bo Clausen has contributed a very nice Kontakt script to the library as well. Be sure to read the nice Help Menu page that Bo has set up on Kontak’s front panel – Thank You Bo!
The Baritone and Soprano African Marimbas have anywhere from 5 to 10 velocity switch samples
The Soprano and Baritone African Marimbas are available as a free download for Kontakt 2+ and EXS24.
More information: Bolder Sounds / Soprano and Baritone African Marimbas
Bolder Sounds has released Toy and African Marimbas, a free sample library for Kontakt and EXS24.
This FREE sound offering originated from a musician named Barry Higgins. Barry contacted me and wanted to “give something back” for all the Bolder FREE Sound offerings. He sent me a sample set of a Toy Marimba he owns to be shared with other Bolder users. Barry is also a maker of fine Native American flutes. You can visit his website at http://www.whitecrowflutes.com. Thank you Barry!
I decided to augment the Toy Marimba offering with a set of samples I’ve had sitting around for years – a bass and tenor African marimba set complete with buzzing resonators. I’ve chosen to map both the bass and tenor marimba to the same keymap for convenience. Also, Bo Clausen has contributed a very nice Kontakt script to the library as well. I’ll post the alto and soprano marimbas at a later date.
Toy and African Marimbas features
- 32 MB library for Kontakt 2+ and EXS24.
- The African marimbas have anywhere from 5 to 10 velocity switch samples per key.
- Kontakt script by Bo Clausen.
Bolder Sounds has also updated the Hammered Dulcimer Trilogy to version 2 and the Bavarian Zither sample library was updated with a KSP script which is more streamlined in accessing the various articulations.
Changes in Hammered Dulcimer Trilogy V2
- Flexible scripting has been added to the Kontakt format.
- Channel Strip Settings for the EXS24 as well as improved programming.
- Now available for a reduced price of $99 USD for the entire set, or $39 USD for each each dulcimer individually.
More information: Bolder Sounds / Toy and African Marimbas
Bolder Sounds has released Handbells, a sample library featuring a set of handbells.
For this sample library a beautiful 3 octave set of handbells were recorded in 9 different articulations totalling 1.2 gigabytes. The samples are 24 bit stereo and most articulations are presented with 2 round-robins per bell.
- Handbell Clapper — samples are created with the traditional technique of holding it against the shoulder, bell-upwards, and then swinging the bell through an elliptical shape to cause the clapper to strike the casting of the bell.
- Suspended Handbell with a soft rubber malle — samples were recorded with the bells suspended from the ceiling of the room while being struck with a soft rubber mallet.
- Suspended Handbell with a hard rubber mallet — samples were recorded with the bells suspended from the ceiling of the room while being struck with a hard rubber mallet.
- Suspended Handbell with a plastic chopstick — samples were recorded with the bells suspended from the ceiling of the room while being struck with a plastic chopstick. This creates a great deal of high frequency content.
- Singing Handbells — The Singing Handbells sound is created by running a wood dowel along the rim of the handbell, similar to the way you can run a wet finger along the edge of a crystal glass and make it sing.
- Plucked Handbells — is accomplished by using the thumb and forefinger to force the clapper head into the casting while the bell is on the table, producing a staccato note.
- Malleted Handbells on a padded table — samples are created by striking the bell with a rubber mallet while the bell is resting on the foam of a padded table. This produces a tone brighter and more percussive than the plucked samples.
- Handbell Shakes — is accomplished by quickly ringing the bell back and forth so that the clapper strikes both the front and back of the bell casting in rapid succession. This creates a continuous tone, as opposed to normal ringing in which the tone decays rapidly after being rung.
- Handbell table hit endings — samples are typically used for the end of a piece of music or at a cadence. Before this sound is heard the bell is already ringing, so you hear just a small portion of the pitch of the bell followed by the percussive hit on the foam table.
Handbells is available for Kontakt 2 or higher (EXS24 coming soon) for the introductory price of $69 USD until January 1, 2010.
More information: Bolder Sounds / Handbells
Bolder Sounds has announced the release of Harmonium, a sample library for Kontakt and EXS24.
This beautiful sounding Harmonium was sampled in 4 articulations (listed below) as well as key press and release noises for each key.
Programming utilizes the modulation wheel (cc#1) to emulate the pumping of the bellows via amplitude and filter modulation.
- 480 mb chromatically sampled 3 1/2 octave Harmonium 24 bit stereo .wav files.
- Natively programmed for Kontakt 2 & 3 as well as the Apple EXS24.
- Chromatic single notes with cover open and closed.
- Chromatic octave couplet engaged with cover open and closed.
- Key press and release noise for each key.
Harmonium is available for purchase for $24.95 USD.
Note: With any Bolder Sounds purchase from 7/11/09 to 7/31/09, buy one Bolder library and get a second library of equal or lesser value for free.
Bolder Sounds has also released Harmonica, a sample library featuring the sounds of a Marine Band harmonica (in the key of A) by the Hohner Company.
The samples are 24 bit mono with NO LOOPS for a natural sound and total 31 megabytes. I originally recorded these samples in stereo but have decided to sum them to mono for the final version. Perhaps in a future Bolder FREE sound set I will sample bends and other gestures which give this instrument it’s signature sound.
More information: Bolder Sounds
Bolder Sounds has released Bavarian Zither, a sampled zither instrument for Kontakt 2 & 3 and EXS24.
My original intention in sampling this instrument was to capture its beautiful harp-like quality and create all sorts of unusual layers and keyboard mappings. However, I realized afterwards it would be expected to have some programming that reflects the way a Zither is traditionally played, so I have attempted to offer both.
Bavarian Zither features
- 608 MB library, 24 bit stereo samples (no loops) for Kontakt 2 & 3 as well as the Apple EXS24.
- Fingerboard articulations sampled: flesh plucked, metal finger pick, open strings, harmonics.
- Accompaniment String articulations sampled: flesh pluck at strings center, flesh pluck at strings bridge, metal finger pick, harmonics.
- Samples are split in 3 folders:
- Zither Traditional – instruments with the accompaniment strings on the lower part of the keyboard map and the fingerboard samples in the upper keyboard map. There is a gap in the keyboard mapping to distinguish the accompaniment strings and the fingerboard strings. The release times on the AMP envelopes tend to be quite a bit shorter than the release times on instruments in the ‘Harplike folder’.
- Zither Harplike – a more creative approach to sound design, featuring the various layers and splits of the articulations that were sampled. The modulation wheel is frequently used as a mixing control between layers. Most of the instruments presented here would be impossible to create on a Zither in real time.
- Zither Components – contains all the separate sampled parts of the Zither, assembled to enable the user to easily piece together whichever sampled parts of the Zither they choose to use.
Bavarian Zither is available for the introductory price of $34.95 USD until June 1, 2009 (regular price $49.95 USD).
A free demo version is availalbe for download here.
This version is 1 instrument titled Zither FREE flesh.nki (or .exs). This instrument combines samples from the accompaniment strings as well as the fingerboard fretted strings, with flesh of the finger plucked articulation.
Visit Bolder Sounds for more information and audio demos.