, samples and sound libraries
, sound fx
Posted in news
on Jun 18, 2013 - 0 comments
Goldbaby has introduced Dirt and Layers, a sample library featuring a collection of drum layering samples and dirt sounds for adding texture to your productions.
The dirt sounds can add subtle or not so subtle texture to your individual instruments or whole mixes. For example add some vinyl noise to give the impression that your instrument was sampled off vinyl. Add some tape noise to make your recordings sound like they were done on tape before noise reduction was invented. Use the damaged cassette noise to fake your cassette sampling skills.
The drum layering samples are a fantastic tool kit for augmenting and beefing up drum sounds. Give your drums more depth and texture by experimenting with different layers. Boost the bottom end of kicks with tuned subs or add a transient layer to help it cut through a mix. Crispen snares with various top layers or add body and substance using the sauce and body layers.
This pack is a treasure trove for experimenting and sound designing. With foley style SFX like footstep on gravel, plastic bag scrunching, glass beads dropping on drum heads, rattley door hits, movie style impacts…
Dirt and Layers features
- 140 dirt sounds (24bit wav), including vinyl and tape noise, digital hash, guitar amp and pedal hum and more…
- 800 drum layering sounds (24bit wav), including kick subs and sauce, snare tops and sauce, sucks, transients and more…
- 50 Rex loops, including vinyl centre and locked grooves, wind up motors and dirt patterns.
The sample library costs $29 USD.
More information: Goldbaby / Dirt and Layers
Noisebud has released version 2.01 of Noisebud Bompa, a free effect plug-in for adding bottom and dirt on drum loops.
Bompa wasn’t really meant for the public but we started to give it away to friends and they liked it and shared it with their friends and in a couple of weeks we started to get requests from totally strangers.
We reached version 2.0 and even if we haven’t changed that much process wise it’s a totally different plugin than the crappy looking first version.
Changes in Bompa v2.01
- Changed the way knobs react to movement, they only react on vertical movement from now on (easier).
- Added Phase shift to the Boom and Gritty engine.
- Added metering for the processed sound (called pressure in the plug).
- Fixed limiter bug.
- Reworked all graphics from scratch.
The Noisebud Filter effect plug-in has also been updated.
Changes in Noisebud Filter v3.11
- Changed the way you turn the knobs, now they only react to vertical movement which should be easier.
- Fixed limiter bug.
- Changed to the new logo.
Noisebud Bompa and Filter are available to download as freeware VST effect plug-ins for Windows PC. Donations are welcome.
More information: Noisebud
I’ve been in NYC a few times and I remember seeing quite some buidlings looking like they had some fire/smoke damage.
Fire damage or dirt?
Maybe it’s just dirt! Check this cool picture by Trevor Little that illustrates what a difference a power wash makes.
Neatorama has an article on Paul Curtis aka Moose who cleans dirt of off walls to create art simular to graffiti.
Paul at work
Paul uses a shoe brush and water to create his pieces. The authorities don’t seem to know what to do about this as he’s actually cleaning something which in itself doesn’t seem to be very criminal.