Universal Audio has announced the released of the Ampex ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In, a faithful emulation of the Ampex ATR-102 Tape Recorder for the UAD-2 Powered Plug-Ins platform.
For more than three decades, the two-channel Ampex ATR-102 Tape Recorder has turned music recordings into records. The perfect complement to the workhorse Studer® A800 Multichannel Tape Recorder Plug-In, the officially sanctioned ATR-102 plug-in provides the final, cohesive analog polish and punch for any in-the-box mastering session, without the ongoing maintenance and calibration of a physical tape machine.
Impeccably developed over a nine-month period in the renowned UAD engineering tradition — and incorporating presets from noted ATR-102 users Chuck Ainlay, Richard Dodd, Buddy Miller, and Mike Poole — the ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In faithfully replicates the unique dynamics, frequency response, and saturation characteristics of the original hardware. Scrutinized and fully authenticated by Ampex Corporation, the sound of the ATR-102 plug-in for UAD-2 is virtually indistinguishable from its analog cousin.
ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In features
- Ampex®-authenticated plug-in emulation of the ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder — the most popular professional 2-track machine ever made.
- Provides rich, cohesive tape sound, without the hassles of calibration, maintenance, tape degradation, etc..
- Adjustable (L/R) Tape Delay, Wow, Flutter, and Crosstalk.
- Requires a UAD-2 DSP Accelerator Card available from authorized dealers worldwide.
- Models entire ATR-102 electronic path, including transformers, amplifiers, Input, Record. and Repro paths.
- Featuring multiple Tape Formulas and Calibration Levels for mix down.
- Independent L/R Input Gain (Record) and Output (Reproduce) Level.
- IPS Speed/Emphasis Curve chooses between 3.75 NAB, 7.5 NAB, 7.5 CCIR, 15 NAB, 15 CCIR, 30 AES.
- Independent L/R record Bias, Record EQ, and Playback EQs, with Auto and Manual Cal capabilities.
The Ampex ATR-102 Tape Recorder Plug-In is available to purchase in UA’s Online Store for $349 USD.
The Ampex ATR-102 Tape Recorder Plug-In is available as part of the new UAD Software v6.0 release. In addition to the Ampex ATR-102 plug-in, v6.0 includes the release of the Brainworx® bx_digital V2 EQ and SPL® Vitalizer MK2-T direct developer plug-ins, as well as highly anticipated Pro Tools compatibility enhancements and Mac OS X Lion support.