Emiliano Grilli has released a free Balafon SoundFont, a sampled wooden percussion idiophone from West Africa.
A friend of mine lent me a fantastic african instrument: a Balafon. I took the opportunity to sample it and make a soundfont to be used in GNU/Linux with qsynth.
To record it I used my trusty yamaha pockettrack 2G (best buy of 2011), I then cropped the single notes with mhwaveedit and put toghether the soundfont with swami.
The instrument itself is gorgeous, too bad I have to gave him back soon… I only sampled one layer for each note, basically there are three octaves of a C scale from G2 to F5 (I don’t know for shure those are the actual pitches, maybe I missed an octave in positioning notes).
The SoundFont is a free download from linuxaudiostudio.
More information: Balafon SoundFont
Hex Loops has announced Urban Club, a construction kits sample pack.
‘Urban Club’ contain 5 powerful hip hop modern construction kits who will smash the club. Contains over 60 Wav ACIDized loops and over 40 MIDI loops.
Not only that. This pack contains an extra bonus with 15 soundfonts instruments used in producing this beats.
Urban Club is available to purchase for $17.50 USD.
More information: Hex Loops / Urban Club
discoDSP has announced a price drop of the Synthesizer Legacy Bundle, a collection of three synthesizer plug-ins.
discoDSP has reduced their Synthesizer Legacy Bundle to 199 EUR / USD 249 / 159 GBP / 19000 JPY. Synthesizer Bundles includes Mac + PC versions from Discovery Pro, Vertigo and Phantom (PC version).
Synthesizer Legacy Bundle features
- Discovery Pro is a 32 and 64-bit 12 oscillator Virtual Analog Synthesizer featuring 4 layers, WAV and SoundFont (SF2) support, PADSynth, 2X oversampling / undersampling, built-in arpeggiator, sync, FM, 12 filter types, panning modulation, stereo delay and gate effects, graphic envelope modulation. Imports and exports Nord Lead 2 SysEx data.
- Vertigo is a 32 and 64-bit Audio Units, VST and RTAS additive synthesizer. Imports and re-synthesize WAV and PNG files into two morphable layers, each with up to 256 oscillators. Includes 8 built-in effects, dual filters and FFT view.
- Phantom is an eight voice, four operator, PM/FM synthesizer with the ability to import Yamaha DX100, DX27 and DX21 SysEx data.
The Synthesizer Legacy Bundle is available to purchase at the discoDSP Online Shop.
More information: discoDSP
Hπ Instruments has released microsynth, a polyphonic multi-timbral microtonal synthesizer for Mac.
microsynth and microsynth-mini are Mac OSX SoundFont synthesizers for microtonal music, supporting seven types of tuning files, on-the-fly retuning, audio file recording, routing to and from standard MIDI hardware controllers and sequencing and notation software such as Sibelius and Finale, giving you total control of tuning in your music.
Available in multi-timbral and mono-timbral versions (tuning features are the same in both).
16 independent tracks, each with tuning, MIDI in/out, SoundFont and patch selection.
- Unlimited tunings, any key to any pitch.
- Individual tuning per track.
- Supports MTS real-time Sysex messages.
- Supports .scl .tun .hz .csv .mtx .gly and .tonex tuning files.
- Supports single channel tuning tables of 128 tones.
- Supports OMNI-channel tuning tables of 2048 tones.
- Allows real time transposition and remapping of scales.
- Unlimited user-defined MIDI CC tuning switches and tuners.
- Supports pitch bending of microtonal pitches.
- Comes with GM/GS Soundset.
- Built in reverb.
- Loads .sf2 soundfonts.
- Unlimited MIDI connections.
- One virtual MIDI input and output.
- Records wav audio files.
- Loads and saves scenes.
- Multiple Undo.
microsynth for Mac (standalone) is available to purchase for $19.99 USD. microsynth-mini (single-track) is $9.99 USD.
More information: Hπ Instruments / microsynth
, samples and sound libraries
, Shruti Box
Posted in news
on Mar 30, 2012 - 0 comments
Presicionsound has announced the Indian ShrutiBox, a sample library featuring the sounds of a Shruti box instrument.
Originating in South India (Kerala, Tamil Nadu), but widespread also in the North, the Shruti box is a small wooden (usually teak) instrument which provides a rich drone background to support singing and other solo instruments, especially winds, like the Bansuri or the Shenai, or to practice sessions and concerts of Indian classical music.
Indian ShrutiBox features
- 61 stereo wav files (24bit) mapped for Kontakt, HALion & EXS24 (all versions).
- SoundFont version (16bit) included for users of other sample players like Reason NN-XT, Dimension, Sfz player etc.
- Includes 2 long chord drones, 5 and 10 minutes long that could be placed as audiotracks in your DAW of choice.
- All notes of the Shruti box has been sampled for many minutes and cut in 4 variations.
- ShrutiBox 1 has the natural attack and looped
- Shrutibox 2 is a cut out of the long note/drone looped
- Shrutibox 3 another portion of the note/drone looped
- Shrutibox 4 the note/drone fading out, not looped
- Shrutibox Pumpnoise – A selection of pumpnoises
- The Kontakt and HALion format have some extra programs including 2 Menu programs with all versions of the drones and noises together but with smaller tone range and a Mix program with 3 drones in unison mix.
- All formats are included when you buy Indian ShrutiBox.
The Indian ShrutiBox library is available to purchase for $19 USD.
More information: Precisionsound / Indian ShrutiBox
Loopstable has announced the release of a free sample pack for its Facebook friends.
Loopstable gives away on facebook page a huge collection of free, hot music loops and samples. It’s a really great opportunity to grab some new fresh samples and create some inspiring music.
In FREE FACEBOOK PACK you can find :
- 5 complete construction kits from loopstable’s commercial releases
- over 150 music loops
- 15 massive drum samples and 1 soundfont kit
and it’s 100% FREE !
The free sample pack is available to download from Loopstable’s Facebook page by clicking “Like us”.
More information: Loopstable
Prodyon has introduced Votox, a sample library for Native Instruments Kontakt.
VOTOX consists of over 250 categorized otherworldly sounds and weights over 2GB. It comes as a multiformat download including KONTAKT 4 (NKI) Instruments, SF2 Source Soundfonts + Bonus Files as well as optional SFZ Instruments. The total download size is around 4 gigabyte.
VOTOX is ideal for those looking for interesting synthetic textures, ambient sounds and hard-to-define instruments for movie scoring.
The relaunch of Prodyon is celebrated with a group buy. At its maximum level participants can get Votox, Enchoir, Polypitch, and music tracks at $35 USD. The group buy is available until April 15th, 2012.
More information: Prodyon / Votox