Time+Space has announced a major update for its dealer Test Stations.
It was a little over 4 years ago when UK distributors Time+Space began rolling out their Test Stations into pro audio retailers in the UK and Ireland. There are now 20 kiosks located across the British Isles, giving the customer a unique opportunity to test drive the latest software and sample based products before they buy.
The Test Station is an ideal way to audition both sample libraries and software products and Time+Space have just completed a new software update which adds a series of brand new virtual instruments and sample products. This includes Trilian from Spectrasonics, Morphestra from Sample Logic and the 4th Edition of Garritan Personal Orchestra.
There are now more than 500 products loaded on the Test Station – the sample libraries can be listened to in full and many of the virtual instruments can be played using a 49 note MIDI keyboard.
More information: Time+Space
, instrument plugins
Posted in news
on Oct 15, 2009 - 0 comments
Plogue has released Chipsounds, a virtual chipsounds synthesizer plug-in for Windows and Mac.
This new product allow any musician to faithfully reproduce the sound and style of vintage video game music and sound effects in a convenient plugin format, usable inside any sequencer or DAW, or as a standalone virtual instrument.
Powered by Plogue/Garritan’s ARIA virtual instrument engine, chipsounds reproduces the idiosyncrasies of the most sought-after classic sound chips, including their most well-known variations, as sonically accurate as possible without adding any non-authentic aliasing or DSP artifacts. Whether musicians are already versed into chiptune/chip music or just interested in those sounds, this is one unique instrument for them.
Research and analysis for this project has been made in house on Plogue’s large collection of cartridges, modified consoles and classic computers and also on the chips themselves using custom made circuit boards and low level 8 bit software code.
Chipsounds simulates the following chips
- TIA used in the 2600 & 7800
- Accurate Multipulse/Polynomial bit pattern waveforms for those unique combat, engine drones and powerful mix piercing “fake-saw” sound.
- 2A03 and its portable variant, used in the Big N consoles
- Accurate pulse width settings (1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4).
- Drawable 4bit/32 step bandlimited Waveform.
- Huge number custom and classic waveforms to choose from, including the unique triangle sound of the Big “N”.
- Short (93/127bit) and Long (32767bit) noise patterns accurately modeled.
- AY-3-8910 and its numerous clones 8912/8913/8914/2149F, used in Intv, ZX, ST, Arcades
- Emulation of Sync Buzzer Envelope Looping tricks.
- Accurate logarithmic 4Bit DAC.
- POKEY used in 400/800 series computer and Arcades
- Fat and accurate Multipulse/Polynomial bit pattern waveforms with clock desynchronization.
- SN76489AN and its SN76496 SN94624N predecessor, used in the ColecoVision, SMS, BBC, TI99, PCjr, Tandy and Arcades
- Basic and RAW, the purest chip there is.
- Different NOISE patterns for all variants, all emulated.
- UVI used in the Arcadia 2001
- A rarity that can prove effective in the grinding department with its logical anding of pulse and noise patterns (As used in the Arcadia 2001 and MPT-03).
- P824X used in the Odyssey 2
- Obscure chip that oddly only plays the scale of E5 (slightly detuned).
- And the subtle psychoacoustic sound of screaming at the start of its noise pattern.
- SID including 6580 and 8580, used in the C64
- The most important sound chip of the 80’s gaming era.
- Variable Pulsewidth, SAW, Triangle, 8bit noise and even combined waveforms.
- Most waveforms are actually SAMPLES of the real thing for 100% accuracy, especially for the combined waveforms.
- VIC-I used in the VIC20
- This chip is very underhestimated gem with tolally unique sounding waveforms.
- Newly discovered “Robotic” waveforms are emulated.
- Rough, nasty noise pattern too.
Chipsounds is available for PC and Mac (VST/AU/RTAS) for the introductory price of $75 USD until November 1, 2009.
More information: Plogue / Chipsounds
Garritan has announced the release of Personal Orchestra 4, a state-of-the-art software that reproduces the sounds of the musical instruments in a symphony orchestra, right from your computer.
The world’s most popular orchestral library just got better!
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4 is now powered by the ARIA Instrument Engine and adds new features, new instrument sounds and updated programming at a lower price.
Changes in Garritan Personal Orchestra 4
- New ARIA Advanced Instrument Engine – ARIA, a new and highly-optimized instrument engine, developed in collaboration with Plogue Art et Technologie Inc, goes beyond ordinary samplers. ARIA is intuitive, efficient and versatile, loads instruments quickly, and places very low demand on your computer’s processor.
- New Price – Instant Download! – GPO4 is affordable, eco-friendly, and available on demand. Simply download and play. The entire GPO4 sample collection can be downloaded with a fast internet connection, dramatically reducing the product’s environmental impact and eliminating the waiting time associated with shipping.
- Additional Sounds, Project SAM Brass & Ensemble Presets – GPO4 includes select brass samples from Project SAM that strengthen the brass section of Personal Orchestra by adding punch and excitement to your musical compositions. GPO4 also includes choir sounds, extended ranges for select instruments and Ensemble Presets.
- Auto Legato – GPO4′s new Auto Legato intelligently detects when you are playing a smooth line with overlapping notes and automatically applies correct legato transitions between notes. Creating realistic phrasing has never been easier. Auto Legato also makes playable trills extremely easy.
- Integrated Ambience Reverb & Stereo Stage - GPO4 now integrates the high quality Ambience reverb with the ARIA Player with individual mixing sends for each instrument. Stereo Stage imparts spacious stereo imagery for GPO4 instruments.
- MIDI Playback and Recording Features -The Standalone ARIA Player allows you to load and playback MIDI files. You can also produce audio recordings of the MIDI file or record yourself playing live.
- Designed for Compatibility - GPO4 runs on both Macintosh and Windows and a variety of formats to fit your workstation and your workflow (VST, Pro Tools RTAS, and OSX Audio Units). It natively supports 64-bit platforms, works in Windows 7, and is programmed for Steinberg’s new VST Expression, which simplifies the use of musical articulations. GPO4 is further optimized for use with the AKAI EWI Wind Controllers and integrates with popular notation programs such as Finale 2010.
- Tunings and Scala File Support – Put GPO4 exactly in tune with your ideas. The ARIA Instrument Engine supports control over individual instrument tuning, the frequency serving as the overall pitch standard, and Scala definition files, a standardized format for scale degree tunings.
- Graceful & Easy Authorization – ARIA authorization employs a personalized digital keycard. Simply drag and drop the personalized graphic card onto the ARIA Instrument Engine to authorize it and get playing in seconds.
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4 is available for Windows and Mac (VST/AU/RTAS) as a download for $149.95 USD. Existing users of previous versions of Personal Orchestra can download the upgrade for $49.95 USD.
More information: Garritan
MakeMusic has announced Finale 2010, a powerful music notation software which lets you compose, arrange, notate, and print engraver-quality sheet music.
From Percussion Notation and Chord Entry to Rehearsal Marks and Measure Numbering, vast areas of Finale have been automated and simplified to save you time. Plus hundreds of music education worksheets, scanning improvements, and more.
New in Finale 2010
- Percussion Notation — We’ve simplified the process of getting notes on percussion staves to look – and playback – exactly the way you want them to.
- Chords — Change or delete notes without changing your chords. Attach chords to measures – whether or not they contain notes or rests – and have the chords appear and playback correctly.
- Garritan sounds — Finale now includes more than 350 world-class instrument sounds from the makers of Garritan Personal Orchestra. Free new sounds include organ, a variety of electric guitars, five octaves of handbells, and a brush drum kit.
- Automatic Rehearsal Marks — Use a keystroke to enter rehearsal marks and Finale automatically sequences them correctly and dynamically updates them when you delete, insert, or move any rehearsal mark or measure.
- Music Education Worksheets — Finale now includes hundreds of ready-made, customizable, music education worksheets designed for K-12 students.
- Graphics Support — Export as .JPEG, and .PNG and import as .JPEG, .PNG, .BMP, and .GIF in addition to previously supported formats of .TIFF, .EPS.
- Broadway Copyist — Inspired by the golden era of handwritten Broadway scores, the Broadway Copyist hand-written font offers a lighter, classic appearance.
- VST/AU Support & Updated Aria Player — Finale now supports all third-party VST/AU Instruments and Effects, providing users with unlimited sonic possibilities. Updated for Finale 2010, the Garritan Aria Player simplifies the process of changing MIDI channel assignments.
- Measure Numbers — Control measure number alignment, positioning, and fonts separately in your score and linked parts.
- Scanning Improvements and More — New Smartscore Lite scanning interface enables you to specify the instrumentation so that your staves will automatically be properly transposed and configured for playback. Also new are transparent selection handles, exporting lyrics to a word-processing document, and improved help documentation.
Finale 2010 is available for pre-order for $600 USD for new customers and upgrades start at $99.95 USD (limited time pre-order pricing).
Visit MakeMusic for more information.
Akai Professional has released the EWI USB, an electronic wind instrument for musicians looking for an easy-to-play, easy-to-use controller.
EWIs are the only choice for serious wind players looking to make music electronically. While EWI USB is easy and fun to use, it’s also powerful, flexible, and most importantly reliable enough for use on stage and in the studio by professional musicians.
EWI USB features
- Mouthpiece: air-pressure level sensor & bite sensor.
- Note Keys: 13 touch sensors.
- Octave Rollers: 2 mobile, 2 fixed touch sensors (5-octave range).
- Bend Plates: 2 touch sensors.
- Ground Plates: 2 touch sensors.
- Custom Garritan Aria Player software, contains wind instrument sounds.
- Multiple fingering modes: sax, traditional EWI, flute, oboe, and EVI brass.
- Expandable sound palette.
- Removable, dishwasher-safe mouthpiece.
- Class-compliant, plug-and-play USB device.
- MIDI Output Channels Over USB: 1.
- Mac and PC compatible.
- Includes: EWI USB wind instrument, neck strap, cleaning cloth, USB cable, software DVD, quick start guide and safety instructions.
The EWI USB is now shipping to musical instrument and pro audio retailers and will be available for an MSRP of $499 USD.
Visit Akai Professional for more information.
Sony Creative Software has announced ACID Pro 7, a DAW powerhouse that combines full multitrack recording and mixing, MIDI sequencing, and legendary ACID looping functionality for a seamless music-creation and post-production environment.
More creative partner than production tool, ACID Pro 7 software inspires you like nothing else. With its Transparent Technology™ design, ACID Pro 7 software removes typical barriers to the creative workflow so you can effortlessly transform ideas into real results.
New in ACID Pro 7
- Audio and MIDI mixing console
- Audio, MIDI, and Bus Track Meters
- Input busses
- Real-time rendering
- MIDI track freeze
- Enhanced timestretch and pitch shifting with élastique Pro
- Enhanced Beatmappeing for tracks with tempo changes
- Tempo curves
- Metronome countoff
- Cross-track event drag and drop
- Switches including Normalize, Invert Phase, and Lock
- External control surface channel tracking
- Custom labels for ASIO™ devices and ports
- Enhanced plug-in management
- Optimized plug-in scanning via the Plug-in Manager
- Interactive Tutorials
- FLAC, AAC, AC-3 Studio, and MPEG-2, format support
- Includes over 3,000 loops in multiple genres
ACID Pro 7 includes software ($500 value) for professional music production and editing, including ACID Pro Effects Rack, powered by iZotope, Garritan Aria for ACID Pro Player, Submersible Music KitCore, and Native Instruments Guitar Combos.
ACID Pro 7 will be available in early November for a MSRP of $399.95 USD.
Visit Sony Creative Software for more information.
MakeMusic has announced Finale 2009, the latest version of the popular music notation software.
New in Finale 2009
- Streamlined workflow – The creation, entry, moving, and editing of dynamics, tempo indications, and other text and markings has been reinvented and streamlined.
- Expanded SmartMusic support – Finale 2009 makes it easier and faster to create assessable SmartMusic accompaniments with support for linked parts, repeats, and more.
- Garritan sounds – Finale now includes more than 300 world-class instrument sounds from the makers of Garritan Personal Orchestra. Free new sounds include baritone saxophone, vintage electric piano, electric guitar, handbells, and more.
- Tapspace Virtual Drumline™ sounds – Finale also includes more than 100 instrument sounds from Tapspace Virtual Drumline, the world’s most powerful marching and concert percussion software instrument featuring the world-champion Santa Clara Vanguard percussion section.
- Aria Player: the next generation – The Garritan Aria Player is included FREE and is fully integrated into Finale 2009. The level of custom integration is unsurpassed and offers superior sound, more control, and a vastly improved user playback experience.
- Multiple page editing – Now you can simultaneously view and edit as many pages as you choose to view on your monitor.
- Full VST/AU instrument support – Finale is now compatible with all VST/AU instruments, providing users with unlimited sonic possibilities. Plus you can now specify which VST/AU plug-ins load, eliminating conflicts and assisting troubleshooting. Finale also checks plug-ins for compatibility before loading, and tracks which plug-ins were previously checked for better performance.
- More Improvements to engraver slurs, Human Playback® enhancements, FinaleScript® 2.0 and updates to MusicXML. Windows users can also benefit from ASIO support which provides more accurate playback, reduced latency, and increased compatibility with a wider variety of sound cards. (ASIO support is not needed in Mac OS X).
Finale 2009 is expected to start shipping the week of July 21, 2008 and can be pre-ordered now for $600 USD. An upgrade can be pre-ordered for $99.95 USD.
Visit the Finale website for more information.
Garritan has released Authorized Steinway Virtual Concert Grand Piano, a sample-based software instrument developed in collaboration with Steinway & Sons, maker of the world’s finest pianos.
The Authorized Steinway Virtual Concert Grand piano accurately captures the distinctive sound of the hallmark Steinway & Sons concert grand piano – with unprecedented authenticity and musicality.
The library comes in three versions:
- Professional, offers the superb Steinway Model D piano with five different listening perspectives:
- Player perspective from the bench
- A classical recording perspective
- An under-the-lid perspective
- A stage perspective
- A close audience perspective
- Standard, offers the under lid and classic perspectives.
- Basic, ideal for students, amateur musicians, and educators, is a light version that offers a single perspective (also available in downloadable format).
Authorized Steinway Virtual Concert Grand Piano features
- Created in partnership with Steinway & Sons.
- The very finest concert grand piano—the Steinway Model D Concert Grand hand-picked by Steinway & Sons.
- Overseen by Steinway & Sons’ most accomplished master technician.
- Sustain/Sostenuto/Soft pedal support.
- Proportional sustain pedaling.
- Multiple-stage tracking release triggers to provide the natural release of the hammer from the string.
- Sustain resonance and sympathetic resonance using convolution-based DSP modules.
- Adjustable mechanical noises.
- Adjustable velocity curves.
- Recorded soft pedal samples including releases.
- Adjustable polyphony.
- A variety of historical tunings and Scala file import.
- Aria Sample Player by Plogue included.
- MIDI playback and record in standalone.
- Ambience reverb and 3 band EQ.
- Graceful Copy Protection (no dongles or challenge response).
- Many more compelling features.
Check this page for a complete comparison of the different versions.
The Professional version is $399 USD, $199 USD for the Standard, and $99 USD for the Basic version.
Visit Garritan for more information and audio demos.