Blue Cat Audio has released version 1.4 of its PatchWork plug-in host for Windows and Mac.
This new version includes MIDI channel filtering for plug-ins input, parallel processing chains improvements (selectable summing mode and solo buttons), and several compatibility improvements on Mac.
Changes in Blue Cat PatchWork v1.4
- Selectable parallel processing chains summing mode: sum or average.
- Solo button for parallel chains.
- MIDI Channel filtering for each plug-in input.
- Fixed undo/redo incompatibilities with some plug-ins.
- (Mac) Fixed crash introduced in 1.3 when trying to load missing VST plug-ins.
- (Mac) Fixed wrong plug-in instantiated in some cases when selected from a VST shell package.
- (Mac) Fixed crash after closing the editor of an Audio Unit plug-in loaded with SoundRadix’s 32Lives.
Blue Cat’s PatchWork is available for purchase for 59 EUR/$79 USD.
More information: Blue Cat Audio / PatchWork
MuTools has released version 6 of its MuLab music production studio for Windows and Mac.
MuLab 6.0 features an enhanced look and feel and a rich collection of new and improved features throughout the app that all together seriously increase the creativity, comfort and productivity of MuLab.
Changes in MuLab v6.0
- Docked part editors that auto-follow the focused track.
- Direct buttons for showing/hiding the browser, mixing desk and session modular area.
- New “Export Consolidated Session” function for making a complete session folder for export to another system.
- New “Export Tracks As Audio Files” function which exports each main track as a separate audio file.
- All rendering-to-audio functions can now be interrupted by pressing ESC.
- Audio parts now give you full control over the fade-in and fade-out curves and show these curves on the audio data.
- Audio parts: When changing the gain or stereo pan in the part property panel, this is applied to all selected audio parts.
- Sequence parts: When changing the transpose or velocity in the part property panel, this is applied to all selected sequence parts.
- New “Add New MuSampla Track” function.
- New “Insert Time Slice” and “Delete Time Slice” functions.
- New “Select Similar Sequence Parts” function.
- New “Increase Tempo”, “Decrease Tempo”, “Half Tempo” and “Double Tempo” shortcut functions.
- Part Editors
- Sequence editor now has two tools: The standard arrow tool (cfr M5) and the pencil tool which makes it easier to quickly insert and delete notes with a single click.
- Sequence editor now has an event property panel for quickly changing the (selected) event values in an alternative way. With optimized undo/redo support so to avoid redundant undo/redo steps!
- New “Transpose -1″, “Transpose +1″, “Transpose -12″, “Transpose +12″ sequence shortcut functions.
- Envelope editor now has an envelope point property panel, similar to the event property panel in the sequence editor.
- Audio-, sequence- and automation editors now much more clearly indicate the active/inactive region.
- Improved Event List Editor: Better layout + events that are outside the actual play region are grayed.
- Event Graph Editor: Support for individual note keys, which is handy to select the velocities of a certain key.
- MUX Modular
- New MuSampla version 2.
- Improved MuDrum:
- Improved mix-racks.
- MuDrum sampler plug-in slots now also have an explicit On/Off button.
- MuDrum: Pad editor is switched also when playing the pads.
- MultiSampla now has 4 stereo outputs so you can route specific zones to a separate output.
- Modular Feedback Delay now has a “Invert Feedback” switch.
- Rack slots and module buttons now include a process on/off switch.
- Multi-sample editor: Zone editor now integrated as a docked sub-editor.
- Added support for note key names e.g. for when a target module defines C3 as “Kick”, D3 as “Snare” etc.
- All embedded sample displays (e.g. in MuSampla and in the multi-sample zones) are fully functional now.
- New “Focus Previous Rack” and “Focus Next Rack” shortcut functions. These functions make it possible to also use MuLab as a stage rack with a bunch of preset racks that can be selected via MIDI.
- Improved curve editing: Curve edit fields (e.g. in the Audio Balancers) now support direct editing i.e. (alt+) drag up/down to change the curve without having to open the curve editor. Opening the curve editor is done via double-click. Plus other detailed improvements wrt curve editing.
- Improved and extended browser functionality.
- Added support for saving/reloading the sample markers near the source sample file.
- Optimized audio engine which should result in less drop-outs when high CPU load on certain systems.
- Many more preferences so to tune MuLab to your flavor.
- Improved look and feel.
- Improved factory library.
- Many more improvements which all together make a big difference.
MuLab 6 UL is available for purchase for 69 EUR. The upgrade from MuLab 5 UL is 17 EUR, and MuLab XT users can upgrade for 45 EUR until August 31st (regular 59 EUR). MuLab Free can be downloaded from the MuTools website.
More information: MuTools
Cockos has released version 4.7 of Reaper, the music production software for Windows and Mac.
REAPER is digital audio workstation software: a complete multitrack audio and MIDI recording, editing, processing, mixing, and mastering environment.
Changes in Reaper v4.7
- Project settings: better media format options for glue/apply FX, etc.
- Able to select a preset when loading an FX.
- More commands added to project tabs context menu, including Close all projects but current.
- Multiple files can be opened together, each in its own project tab.
- Project Tab close button can be dragged and dropped to left or right.
- Media Explorer options now include Preserve pitch shift when changing media, Pitch shift knob behavior (now configurable), Always show waveform peaks for selected media, Display preview positions in tenths of seconds, Auto-stop preview after adding media and Add current folder to shortcut list.
- Item Properties dialog: Position and Length can be displayed as time, beats or HMSF.
- New option on MIDI Editor Customize note names menu to Merge note names from file …
- New MIDI Editor mouse modifier contexts for MIDI source loop and marker and MIDI marker/region lane.
- ReaVerb usage tips.
- File Consolidate/Export: more options explained.
- Project rendering: more options explained.
- New option under Preferences, General to open last active project, all previously open project tabs, new project, or prompt. More options explained.
- Performance Meter data is now sortable: also ReaMote column added when ReaMote is enabled.
- Check the changelog for full details.
Cockos has also updated its ReaPlugs effect plugins to version 2.2, adding a 64-bit version and updates for ReaJS.
More information: Reaper
Image-Line has announced the release of a 64-bit version of its FL Studio music production software.
FL Studio 64 Bit is a free option for existing customers while new customers get FL Studio 32 and 64 Bit with no change to current FL Studio pricing.
FL Studio 64 is available in a single unified FL Studio 32/64 Bit installer or as a 64 Bit update installer for any version of FL Studio 11.
FL Studio 64 Bit features
- Access up to 512 GB memory, depending on your Windows version.
- 32 Bit bridged and 64 Bit native VST plugin support.
- Project compatibility between 32 and 64 Bit versions.
- FL Studio available as a 64 Bit VST plugin for use in 64 Bit VST hosts.
- Limitations: The following features & plugins rely on 3rd party code that is not available in 64 Bit at this time – Buzz Adapter, Edison ‘Clean Audio’ function*, FL Slayer, Fruity Soundfont Player*, Synthmaker/Flowstone*, Wasp/Wasp XT (*Planned for a future 64 Bit update).
Find more details on the 64-bit update at this news post.
FL Studio is available for purchase in various editions, starting at $99 USD. New Image-Line customers can save 10% off a purchase here.
More information: Image-Line / FL Studio
Ableton has released version 9.1.3 of the Live 9 music production software for Windows and Mac.
Create, produce and perform. Create ideas, make changes without stopping, and capture everything as you work.
Changes in Live v9.3.1 features
- Improvements and feature changes:
- Added control surface support for AKAI MPK225, MPK249, MPK261.
- Bug fixes:
- Fixed an issue which caused CPU spikes when moving a MIDI note in a track containing certain Ableton devices with automated parameters while the transport is not playing.
- Fixed CPU overloads and audio artifacts which might occur when moving MIDI notes in the MIDI editor, if the track contained certain third-party VST plug-ins.
- Fixed a bug that caused the active Control Scripts to be loaded again when activating an additional Control Surface.
- Enabling multiple tracks for recording and then triggering the Session Record button from the APC40 MKII would only record into the currently selected track instead of all armed tracks.
- Fixed a bug which prevented Max for Live devices from grabbing the APC40 Clip Matrix.
- Manual mappings for the APC40′s Device Bank buttons would not work any more after pressing the device’s Shift button.
- Fixed an issue on the Mackie Control Pro where the display would not show the parameter’s values correctly, after previously enabling the level meters.
- Fixed a graphical glitch which could occur when changing an Arrangement track’s vertical zoom level via the Mackie Control or a Max for Live device. Under certain conditions, this could also lead to a crash.
- Importing a Session View clip containing automation for a Max for Live device into another Live Set would create automation breakpoints in the Arrangement View.
- When loop is activated in the Arrangement View, MIDI sustain messages and other CC# messages would not be recorded reliably after the first loop iteration.
- Live would allocate an unusually high amount of RAM when rendering video with the 64-bit version on OS X.
- When configuring plug-in parameters, some sliders in Live’s plug-in panel would not match the position of the respective parameter in the plug-in GUI.
- After installing a newly purchased Pack, Live would show an error message and the Pack couldn’t be used until Live was authorized manually again.
- Text in deactivated clips was not readable with certain skins.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when closing the plug-in window of a UAD Audio Unit by pressing the [ESC] key.
- Fixed a crash which might occur when renaming a Drum Rack pad while triggering another pad.
- Live could crash under certain conditions when running as a ReWire slave and creating a new Live Set without saving the previous Set.
- Under certain circumstances, Live would delete send automation or modulation envelopes from clips when exporting clips or tracks to the browser. Additionally, Live could crash when using the undo feature after such an export operation.
- Changes for Push:
- Certain Max for Live devices which accessed the Push Touch Strip would not work properly.
The update is now available to download.
More information: Ableton
Blue Cat Audio has released version 1.3 of Blue Cat’s PatchWork, a new version of the “universal plug-ins patch bay” available in multiple audio plug-in formats.
With Blue Cat’s PatchWork 1.3, it is now possible to host Audio Unit plug-ins inside the plug-in on Mac (in addition to VST plug-ins). Copy/paste enhancements simplify moving plug-ins in the signal chain or between applications. Several compatibility and performance improvements have also been included (full list below).
Changes in PatchWork v1.3
- New Features:
- Audio Unit hosting support: Audio Units can now be loaded into the plug-in on Mac.
- Plug-ins can now be cut from a slot for cut/paste operations.
- Plug-ins can now be pasted into a slot with their params map.
- User interface loading or resizing is now up to 50% faster.
- Reduced the size of windows installers.
- Minor layout changes.
- Fixes and compatibility improvements:
- Fixed undo/redo incompatibilities with some plug-ins.
- (Mac) Fixed random crashes when unloading some plug-ins on Mac (Waves plug-ins for example).
- (Win/AAX) Fixed shortcut to user manual in start menu.
- (AAX) Fixed inaccurate transport information reported to sub plug-ins when stopping playback in Pro Tools.
Blue Cat’s PatchWork for Windows and Mac (VST/AU/RTAS/AAX/DX) is available for purchase for 59 EUR / $79 USD (VAT excluded). The update is free for existing customers.
More information: Blue Cat / PatchWork
Image-Line has posted a previe video of the new vectorial mixer that will be part of the upcoming FL Studio 12 music production software.
The FL Studio 12 Alpha preview version is available to download for FL Studio owners. Note that the new mixer is not included yet.
New Image-Line customers can purchase a license of FL Studio with 10% discount.
More information: Image-Line / FL Studio 12 Alpha