Image-Line has announced the release of an alpha preview version of FL Studio 12, the music production software for Windows.
FL Studio customers you can now download the FL Studio 12 ALPHA-PREVIEW to give us feedback about the extensive workflow changes.
What’s this for?
We are looking for feedback about some of the major changes in workflow that have been made so far. Please try it out and let us know what you think of how it works. We’re not really looking for bug reports, at this time.
Changes in FL Studio 12 (alpha preview)
- Browser – The Browser has changed (now with category tabs and the ability to delete content on right-click).
- Channel Menu – The Channel Options Menu has moved from the Toolbar Menus to the Channel rack.
- Channel settings – Have been integrated into the Plugin Wrapper.
- Interface – Vectorial user interface. See Options > General Settings > GUI display.
- Per Channel Swing – The Channel Settings now has a ‘swing multiplier’ amount.
- Pattern Menu – The Pattern Menu has moved from the Channel rack to the Toolbar Menu and Pattern Selector.
- Piano roll – Piano roll Auto-zoom can now we deselected from Settings > General > Auto zoom in piano roll.
- Playlist – Multiple drag and drop for audio files onto Playlist (from a Windows file browser).
- Stepsequencer – Stepsequences are now interchangable with Piano rolls.
- VST Plugins – VST plugin installation has changed.
The alpha preview version (currently only 32-bit) is available to download to registered Image-Line users.
More information: Image-Line / FL Studio 12 alpha preview
Ableton has released version 9.1.2 of its Live 9 music production software for Windows and Mac.
Changes in Live 9.1.2
- Improvements and feature changes:
- Added control surface support for Akai APC40 MKII, APC Key 25, APC mini.
- Updated control surface documentation.
- Improved readability of text in clips, tracks, chains and macro controls. The text color is now automatically inverted, depending on the background color.
- Bug fixes:
- Live would show cryptic error messages in case it detects and repairs a corrupt database. Now it shows something more meaningful.
- Looped clip envelopes could have an incorrect length after unlinking the envelope, linking it again and then moving the clip from Session View to the Arrangement View.
- MIDI data from the computer MIDI keyboard or an external MIDI input could have a huge delay after plugging a cable into the computer’s headphone jack (Mac OS X only).
- When overdubbing a MIDI clip in the Arrangement View, the resulting clip would not be cropped to the correct content, but would contain all other notes of the track.
- A playing clip in the last scene would stop playing when deleting a scene above it.
- Fixed a bug that could occur when recording automation over a loop jump in a Session View clip when the Arrangement View’s loop is active.
- Plug-in parameters of certain VST plug-ins would not instantly update on the custom plug-in window after changing presets.
- The AU versions of UAD powered plug-ins would not release their DSP resources when turning them off in Live, even if the option “Release all UAD DSP resources on AudioUnit bypass” was enabled in the UAD control panel.
- Loading a set containing many disabled UAD AU plug-ins may have resulted in a “UAD bandwidth allocation exceeded” error while loading the set.
- Fixed a crash which could occur when quitting Live via the Mac OS X App Switcher (CMD+TAB).
- Fixed a crash that could occur on Mac OS X when quitting the application while Live is buffering samples.
- Fixed a crash which could occur in the 64-bit version when triggering multiple voices in Sampler and having the Shrink/Expand Envelopes feature enabled.
- Fixed a crash which could occur in the 32-bit version of Live when loading presets containing a very large amount of devices.
- Fixed a crash that could occur under certain conditions when moving scenes and then using Undo.
- Live 9 Intro or Lite would crash when importing an audio clip which uses the Complex or Complex Pro warp mode (Windows only).
- Changes for Push:
- It wasn’t possible to edit device parameters if a track’s input routing was set to “No Input”.
- Live would record MIDI notes at the wrong position when using Push’s Note Repeat function and having the track’s monitoring switch set to “No Input”.
- Audio clip recording could be interrupted when choosing another track with Push, even if Exclusive Arm is deactivated in Live’s preferences.
- When selecting a track, the Melodic Step Sequencer would sometimes not select a page in the currently playing clip.
The update is available as a free download for all owners of Live 9 Suite, Standard, Intro and Lite.
More information: Ableton
XT Software has released public beta 3 of energyXT 2.7, a music production software for Windows and Mac.
Changes in energyXT 2.7 beta 3
- Object bar didn’t display note length in last beat, now fixed.
- Fixed crash when loading XTC clips with missing VST plugin.
- Fixed crash when adding MIDI out device to a tack containing a VST.
- Fixed issue with custom volume knob image and old skin. Skins made in 2.7 beta v2 may have to be fixed manually.
- Added Trim control to sequencer mixer strip.
- Minor fixes to light skin and added option to skin color of eq curve in mixer (FX > decoration color).
- Resizing and transposing events with keyboard shortcuts didn’t update object bar, now fixed.
energyXT is currently available to purchase for 39 EUR (regular 59 EUR). The latest beta is available to download here.
More information: XT Software
Steinberg has released version 7.5.20 of its Cubase and Cubase Artist music production software.
The update adds several improvements and resolves more than 60 issues in different areas of the applications.
The update is now available for download from the Steinberg website. For detailed information please view the corresponding version history on the download page.
Changes in Cubase v7.5.20
- TrackVersions: Delete Inactive TrackVersions.
- Control Room Improvements.
- Channel/track visibility: Key command for “Update configurations”.
- Steinberg Hub: Remove recent projects from list.
- Project window toolbar: Additional buttons.
- New Preference: Record-Enable allows MIDI Thru.
- New Preference: Colorize folder track controls only.
- Many issues resolved, check the version history for details.
The update is now available to download for Cubase and Cubase Artist users.
More information: Steinberg / Cubase
Image-Line has released version 11.1 of its FL Studio music production software for Windows.
FL Studio 11.1 includes support for the FREE and hugely popular Image-Line Remote Android and iOS MIDI remote controller application and a new FREE synthesizer MiniSynth, that also works as a crossover synth with FL Studio Mobile. We think we have the free thing covered :)
Changes in FL Studio v11.1
- Most plugins updated (bugfixes).
- Image-Line Remote for Android (Google Play) and iOS (iTunes Apps) updated.
- MiniSynth free synth is included.
- FL Studio Mobile import updated.
- Launchpad support updated.
- DirectWave import support updated.
- Bugfixes as reported since the last version, FL Studio 11.0.5.
FL Studio 11.1 is free for existing customers under the Lifetime Free Update policy. New Image-Line customers can purchase FL Studio with a 10% discount here.
More information: Image-Line / FL Studio
Tracktion Software Corporation has released version 5.2.4 of its Tracktion music production software for Windows and Mac.
Changes in Tracktion v5.2.4
- Archiving fix.
- Fullscreen button for Windows.
- Fix for stuck notes when using the MIDI patch bay plugin.
- Fix for incorrect export formats being displayed in MIDI note and track renders.
- Fix for some synth plugins not responding to MIDI.
- [5.2.3] Made sure MIDI clips created from dropping files have a suitable length.
- [5.2.3] Fix for copy/pasted clip lengths.
- [5.2.3] Fix for importing MIDI files on the project screen.
- [5.2.3] Fix for trimming empty regions at the start of dropped MIDI files.
- [5.2.3] Fix for saving and copying shell-based plugins.
- [5.2.3] Fix for MIDI SysEx timing.
- [5.2.3] Fixes for editing really tiny MIDI notes.
- [5.2.3] Fix for loading JACK.
- [5.2.3] Fix for project list forgetting projects when their name is changed.
- [5.2.3] Fix for groove templates in sequencer clips.
- [5.2.3] Fix for importing archives with sub-directories.
- [5.2.3] Fix for Automap Universal crashing.
- [5.2.3] Fix for audio glitches if racks are used across multiple output devices.
- [5.2.3] Added support for Automap to the 64-bit Mac version.
- [5.2.3] Added prompt for dragging audio files onto separate tracks or a single track.
- [5.2.3] Added selection of contiguous clips with shift.
- [5.2.3] Added option for rendering a sequencer-clip to a MIDI clip.
Tracktion 5 is available to purchase for $59.99 USD.
More information: Tracktion
Bitwig has announced the release of Bitwig Studio, a multi-platform music-creation system for production, performance and DJing, with a focus on flexible editing tools and a super-fast workflow.
Record and arrange, improvise and perform, or do it all at once. Choose between several display profiles. Design your own sounds with dedicated container devices. Combine built-in instruments, effects, and VST plug-ins.
Bitwig Studio’s unified mapping system allows you to modulate any device or VST parameter using macro controls and modulator devices. Explore a new world of creative possibilities, including audio and note expressions, histogram-based value editing, layered editing, extensive bounce-in-place functions, automatic slicing, smart controller integration, and the Open Controller Scripting API.
Every feature in Bitwig Studio was developed by musicians, for musicians. Welcome to the next generation of music creation and performance software for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
Bitwig Studio features
- Cross-platform DAW (Windows, OS X, Linux).
- Intuitive non-linear sequencing for the studio world and beyond.
- Full multi-core and multi-processor support.
- VST 2.4 support with built-in 32-/64-bit bridging and plug-in crash protection.
- Proprietary time-stretching technology.
- Unlimited Audio Tracks.
- Unlimited Effect Tracks.
- Multi-display support for up to 3 displays.
- Unlimited Note Tracks.
- Unified Modulation System: Use Macro Controls, Note Expressions, LFOs, and Envelope Followers to modulate any device parameter, including nested internal devices and even VST plug-ins.
- Note and Audio expressions, including per-note Micro-Pitch Control.
- Automatic sample slicing to both Sampler or Drum Machine.
- Record and edit both track and clip automation in absolute and relative modes.
- Support for numerous MIDI controllers out of the box.
- Multiple tools for specific tasks and editing workflows.
- Macro Controls per device, as well as dedicated Device Panel Mappings with color-coded knobs and buttons for an overview at a glance.
- Advanced layered editing.
- Open Controller API: Lets you create and customize functionality for virtually any MIDI controller, including scripting access to nearly every feature of Bitwig Studio.
- File import: WAV, MP3, AAC, WMA, FLAC, and Ogg Vorbis.
- A PDF Manual is included with the Bitwig Studio application in English and Japanese.
Bitwig Studio for Windows, Mac, and Linux is available as a download, priced at $399 USD / 299 EUR. A boxed version is available from distributors for MSRP $449.99 USD / 329 EUR / £279 GBP.
More information: Bitwig
XT Software has released version 2.7 beta 2 for Windows and Mac of its energyXT music production software.
With energyXT you will be creating tracks faster than with any other music application
Changes in energyXT v2.7 beta 2
- Added level per audio clip.
- New mixer panel in sequencer (like in v1.4).
- Track presets.
- Duplicate track will now also copy arp data.
- Drag & drop plugins on to MIDI tracks will now replace current plugin(s), unless shift or alt is pressed.
- Enter values for velocity and controller data manually in object bar.
- Added speedbuttons for transposing by octave in objectbar.
- Copy/paste controller data.
- Render audio to drum pad.
- Add up to 8 favorite VST params for each track (using VST plugin) in the mixer with MIDI controller support.
- Rewind will now restart current marker in marker-track mode.
- Width of track panel now saved with project.
- Added mute/solo highlight state in GUI editor.
- Record VST automation with MIDI controllers (using favorite params mapping on track).
energyXT is currently available to purchase for 39 EUR (regular 59 EUR). The new beta is available to download here.
More information: XT Software