Ben Taylor, Jesse Allison, and Yemin Oh have released NexusUI, a JS toolkit for easily designing musical interfaces for mobile apps and web browsers, with emphasis on rapid prototyping (nexusDrop) and integration with Max/MSP (nexusUp).
NexusUI can be used to integrate directly with the Web Audio API in the browser, or to communicate with Max, SuperCollider or Chuck via server-side applications.
NexusUI is mobile-friendly and multi-touch compatible. It enables large-scale collaborative performances by distributing interfaces through a browser — something that many people have at home, in their bag, or carry in their pocket.
NexusUI is available to download at no charge. NexusUI is licensed as open source software (New BSD License).
More information: NexusUI
MIDI HACK is a 24h hackathon sponsored by Ableton, Native Instruments & Spotify celebrating the protocols (such as MIDI, OSC & CV) and technologies that are the backbone of analog and digital music creation.
The MIDI HACK weekend will offer lectures and performances from artists and creators. The focus of the event will be on letting our participants create new and ground breaking ideas.
The goal of MIDI HACK is to bring together industry leaders, interesting start-ups, software developers, hardware fanatics and musicians who push the envelope of music creation, and to spawn great and creative ideas for the future. Ever wanted to rip apart MIDI controllers to create a new one? Maybe write a new VST or AU? Or how about finding new ways to perform? Then this is the hack for you.
The name MIDI HACK derives from the midi protocol that has defined music creation for more than 30 years. Together with OSC (Open Sound Control – an open source version of the same idea) and CV (Control Voltage – used to control analogue synthesizers) they are the three pillars of music creation today whenever there’s a synthesizer or computer involved.
A hack is a abbreviation of hackathon, a defined space that during a limited tine engages people in overcome a defined target or investigate a certain subject. Midi hack is aimed for the people who love music creation and sees a potential for involvement within the area.
MIDI HACK will take place May 17th-18th, 2014, at Spotify HQ, Stockholm – Sweden. The application form opens Tuesday March 18th, and closes March 30th, 2014.
More information: MIDI HACK
Niall Moody has released version 2.13 of Pedalboard2, a VST (and AU on OSX) plug-in host designed for live use.
Hey there! I’ve just uploaded a new version of the Pedalboard. This update’s mostly about MIDI. Here’s the main features:
- MIDI learn for application and plugin mappings.
- Per-plugin MIDI channel filtering.
- Optional Event Log for debugging MIDI and OSC issues.
Pedalboard2 for Windows and Mac is freeware.
More information: Niall Moody / Pedalboard2
sonicLAB has announced version 2.2 of Cosmosƒ, a real-time dynamic stochastic synthesis engine.
newest update: Cosmosƒ V2.2 offers a powerful and unique preset morphing mechanism. With 2D / 3D control interface + homogeneous and heterogeneous micro waveform handling, it “rethinks” for you what you know as “morphing”…
A sonic morphing process defines a metaphor of exploring the sonic shape and timbral evolution on intermediate levels. Cosmosƒ V2.2 gives the possibility to manipulate its composants responsable for its bottom-up sonic construction within necessary correspondance, precision and smoothness.
Cosmosƒ advanced stochastic synthesizer.
Changes in Cosmosƒ v2.2
- 2D / 3D preset morphing mechanism. Up to 4 different preset parameter space can be morphed by traveling inside a 3D sphere by adjusting the polar coordinates within a unique interface design.
- Stochastic morphing with distribution range for altering the morphing position, speed and interpolation control.
- Built-in mathematical functions to automatically and precisely move the morphing pointer in the space.
- Precise audio rate parameter update with the possibility of reaching amazing morphing speeds (44100times a second!)
- turns Cosmosƒ into a super oscillator by accumulating up to 4 different presets in heterogeneous micro event mixing mode prior to the morphing phase.
Cosmosƒ for Windows and Mac is available to purchase for 89 EUR.
More information: sonicLAB
Twisted Tools has updated the Rolodecks loop slicer multi-effect built for Native Instruments Reaktor to version 1.06.
Control Twisted Tools Rolodecks from your iPad.
The update features a tightly integrated Lemur template and mapped instrument allowing users to control Rolodecks using their iPad. The integration takes advantage of Reaktor 5.8‘s brand new OSC capabilities, providing Rolodecks users with touch control over every single parameter and setting. Furthermore, thanks to Reaktor 5.8 the Lemur template can be used to control Rolodecks in either standalone or plugin mode.
In addition to the free Lemur template, the update includes a number of small improvements to Rolodecks.
Changes in Rolodecks v1.06
- Lemur template and mapped instrument for Liine’s Lemur App for iPad (iPad and Lemur app not included).
- Numerous small fixes and improvements.
Rolodecks costs $49 USD, Rolodecks Pro is $69 USD. The update is free for registered users.
More information: Twisted Tools / Rolodecks
Native Instruments has updated its Reaktor modular studio software for Windows and Mac to version 5.8.
REAKTOR 5.8 opens a universe of sound. It’s a deep and powerful modular studio that sets no restrictions on creativity. More than 70 unique synthesizers, sound generators, grooveboxes, sequencers and effects are at your fingertips, with 3000+ more freely available in the Online User Library. Customize existing instruments, or create your own individual sound generator from scratch thanks to the fully modular architecture. REAKTOR is a true playground for the creative mind.
Changes in Reaktor v5.8
- Updated OSC Settings window.
- Improved handling of OSC and MIDI, enables fast and easy mapping of MIDI & OSC controllers to Reaktor ensembles in Play Mode.
- New OSC Array modules, for sending and receiving OSC messages in array format.
- OSC in plug-in mode.
- OSC learn feature now also implemented in Play mode.
- OSC activity indicator.
- Limits on the total number of OSC connections have been removed.
- Maximum numbers of ports for the OSC Send and Receive modules has been increased to 40.
- Improved sample management, including the ability to manage samples when in Play Mode.
- Various workflow improvements in the sample map editor.
- Selection of sampler module per drop down menu.
- Show sampler module in structure functionality.
- Mouse control fine tuning.
- Bookmark behavior for Screensets.
- Fixed sample rate per Ensemble.
- Various other fixes and improvements.
Reaktor is available to purchase for 379 EUR.
More information: Native Instruments / Reaktor
, Keith McMillen Instruments
Posted in news
on Nov 02, 2012 - 0 comments
Keith McMillen Instruments has launched a Kickstarter project for QuNexus, a new smart sensor keyboard controller.
QuNexus is the first keyboard controller to unite four generations of synthesis: MIDI, Control Voltage, OSC and USB.
QuNexus is a controller that everyone can have fun with. 25 vividly illuminated, touch-sensitive keys invite the beginner to explore, and provide valuable performance feedback for the professional.
Smart Sensor keys detect pressure, location, and velocity giving you unprecedented musical control.
Together with popular software apps, beginners can learn to play quickly and easily with QuNexus’ game-like blue and white glowing keys, creating a fun and interactive learning experience. Now anyone can play the piano.
- 25 Smart Sensor Keys detect Pressure, Location, and Velocity.
- Polyphonic Aftertouch.
- 7 Octave range.
- Pitch Bend Pad.
- 2 CV/Gate Inputs.
- Gate and 3 CV Outputs (16-bit).
- Blue and White LED Illumination with 16 levels of brightness.
- Portable: 14 oz, 3.5″ x 10″ x .5 “.
- Plug and Play: USB powered, no drivers needed.
- MacOS, Windows, iOS, Android, Linux.
The QuNexus project will be funded if at least $20,000 USD is pledged by Tuesday December 18th, 2:59am EST. Starting at a $150 USD pledge for a first edition QuNexus, backers can expect the controller to be delivered in April, 2013.
More information: Keith McMillen Instruments / QuNexus