HyperSynth has released version 1.2 (including HW unit OS) of HyperSID, a subtractive synthesizer with all the C64 SID chip hardware capabilities besides many new software based features.
OS v1.2 has been completely redesigned and some long standing issues have been fixed. In this release all the processing tasks are handled by HW unit. The big flaw in the previous versions was the low update rate of modulation sources but now the HW unit is capable of filling SID registers with update rates up to 28000 Hz.
The VSTi plug-in represents a step forward in controlling the new LFO and envelope modules with great preciseness and resolution up to 14 bit for each parameter plus an ultra fast arpeggiator module to emulate C64 like sound. Due to many requests, HyperSynth has published “HyperSID MIDI CC-NRPN Chart” in the website as a document, and suggests that “it’s time for Mac users to start building their own control surface”.
Changes in HyperSID v1.2
- New optimized and improved OS for HW unit with 28000Hz update rate on SID register.
- High resolution HW based LFO, ENV and arpeggiator.
- 2x faster startup for software plugin.
- Several bug fixes and lots more.
More information: HyperSynth
, Dusted William Sounds
, samples and sound libraries
Posted in news
on Apr 27, 2009
Dusted William Sounds has released the Dirty Dose, a sample set made up of over 500 one shot hits from an Atari 2600, a Commodore 64, and a vintage analog Tama Techstar electronic drum set, all recorded onto 2 inch master tape.
Do you have 8 bit fever? Is your life too perfect? Do you feel like your lo-fi desires just aren’t being met? You probably have lofi deficiency syndrome, or LFDS
Dr. Williams recommends the Dirty Dose!
Dirty Dose features
- 500+ one shot samples in .wav format, split up in various categories (kick, snare, clap, hats, etc.)
- 100+ MIDI files for a sudden rush of euphoria. Later you can make your own beats if you’re up to it.
- 20+ kits in Guru, NI Battery 3.0 and Ableton Live drum racks formats.
Dirty Dose is available for the introductory price of $21.99 USD until June 1st, 2009 (regular price is $29 USD).
Visit Dusted William Sounds for more information and audio demos.
Lauer, Teuber GbR has released Sid Player Lite, a free SID player application for the iPhone/iPod Touch.
Sid Player Lite brings you the sound of the Commodore C64 to your iPhone and the iPod Touch. Enjoy game classics such as ‘Commando’, ‘Arkanoid’, ‘The last V8′ or listen to the music of ‘Rob Hubbard’, ‘Martin Galway’, and many others.
Sid Player gives you access to an excerpt of the High Voltage Sid Collection (HVSC) consisting of over 35.000 songs from 1138 authors. Thanks to the unique sound aesthetics, Sid music is now considered an art of its own and there’s a constant flow of new creations.
A Sid file occupies only few kbytes, thus you can quickly download C64 music via EDGE or UMTS and listen for hours. The search function enables you to find your favourites in a blink.
Sid Player Lite is available from the iTunes App Store.
Odo Synths has released version 3.0 of 38911 Bytes, a one oscillator synthesizer VST plug-in for Windows PC.
It’s a synthesizer based on Commodore 64 software but it can do a lot more
38911 Bytes v3.0 features
- 1 oscillator synth with 4 waveforms (saw, triangle, pulse, pitched noise), ringmodulation waveforms (saw, triangle, pulse). PulseWidth, octaves from -3 to 4.
- 1 ringmodulation oscillator with 3 waveforms (saw, triangle, pulse) PulseWidth, octaves range -3 to 4 and notes C to B.
- 3 LFOs with 19 waveforms, 16 different BPM rates and free rate. Low/hi depth option and destinations are pitch oscillator, pw and cutoff.
- LFO modes: GATE (press key), FIRST (start sequencer) and FREE (free running).
- 4 x 16 step sequencers: 11 BPM rates and free rate mode (in free mode all sequencers have the same rate).
- 1 waveform sequencer (saw, triangle, pulse, pitched noise, rm triangle, rm saw, rm pulse).
- 1 octave sequencer range from -3 to 4.
- 1 octave and notes sequencer notes from C to B and octave range -3 to 4.
- Filter sequencer.
- Pitch, PulseWidth, Cutoff and Volume envelopes.
- Bitcrusher effect.
- Mono/poly mode.
- Retrigger on/off.
38911 Bytes v3.0 is available as donationware for Windows PC. A demo version can be downloaded here (controls are disabled).
Visit Odo Synths for more information.
, drum machine
, online service
Posted in random posts
on Jan 05, 2009
Some interesting things I found recently:
# iPhone / iPod Touch Applications: Sid Player – Sid Player brings you the sound of the Commodore C64 to your iPhone and the iPod Touch. Enjoy game classics such as 'Commando', 'Arkanoid', 'The last V8' or listen to the music of 'Rob Hubbard', 'Martin Galway', and many others.
# Libcube: Use the AudioCubes with your own programs
Libcube is a library written in C (available for Mac OS X and Windows) which aims to be a library that is robust, easy to learn, and that covers most the functionalities the cubes are offering.
We think that this component makes a good foundation that will help AudioCubes enthusiasts to develop innovative and creative new applications. We even have some new stuff in stores, but I’ll let Bert show you that when it’s time …
# PrePal – The worlds largest online listing of used musical instrument prices, updated every day.
# MidiDuino Preview: Polyrhythmic Drum Machines and Arduino-Friendly MIDI Libraries
Peter Kirn writes:
DIY lovers and drum machine nuts alike should be very excited by what our friend Wesen has been up to lately. Working on his projects MidiCommand and MonoJoystick, two hackable boutique music hardware gadgets for MIDI control and joystick manipulation of MachineDrum, respectively, he’s built a powerful MIDI library integrated with the Arduino development environment.
# Say it with Pictures – Eight programs that convert images to music.
# MusicBox: Mapping and visualizing music collections
Anita Lillie writes:
This is a blog for my Masters thesis at the MIT Media Lab, on a music browser called MusicBox. In this blog, you can find screenshots and videos of the project, which show the interactive maps that MusicBox creates.
That lovely visualization in the bottom right looks familiar!
Odo Synths has released version 2.0 of 38911 Bytes, a free synthesizer plug-in based on Commodore 64 software.
Changes in 38911 Bytes v2.0
- 16-steps in the step-sequencers (instead of 8).
- Improved filters (They are now closer to the Commodore 64).
- Improved noise.
- 1 extra LFO.
- New GUI.
38911 Bytes is available as a VST instrument for Windows PC.
Visit Odo Synths for more information and a link to download 38911 Bytes v2.0.