Ableton has announced some new products, scheduled to be released before the end of 2007: Ableton 7, some new add-on instruments, and Ableton Suite.
Ableton Live 7
Ableton Live 7 renews the core of Live, with enhancements to the audio engine including 64-bit mix summing, new and improved devices with side-chaining capability, better MIDI timing and hardware integration.
New in Ableton Live 7
- Enhanced Audio Engine – Live 7’s enhanced audio engine improves fidelity with precision 64-bit summing at all mix points throughout the program, POW-r dithering, optimized sample-rate conversion and other advances
- New Compressor – The new compressor device integrates the compression models of Compressor I and II, and offers a new model based on a feedback design commonly found in the most praised vintage compressors
- Sidechaining – Fully integrated side-chaining capability is available for the new Compressor as well as Gate and Auto Filter
- Device High-Quality Modes – Operator, Dynamic Tube and Saturator now feature optional High-Quality modes for anti-aliased processing, reducing typical “digital” artifacts
- EQ Eight—New and Improved – EQ Eight sports an improved user interface and a new 64-bit mode for increased accuracy and fidelity
- Introducing Spectrum – The new Spectrum device is an analyzer that provides real-time visual feedback for any audio signals within Live (and it looks really cool!)
- Improved MIDI Timing – The MIDI engine has been reworked and we were able to significantly reduce timing error (jitter) of recorded MIDI
- Easy Hardware Integration – Hardware integration has been streamlined with the addition of two new devices—External Instrument and External Audio Effect—allowing hardware synthesizers and effects to be inserted into device chains just like software plug-ins
- Other – Enhanced Memory Management, Audio Engine Fact Sheet, MIDI Engine Fact Sheet
Live 7 also brings some of the most requested features like Time Signature Changes, Video Export, Easier Automation, Tempo Nudge, and REX Support.
A new Drum Rack streamlines beat production via an easy drag-and-drop interface and offers native sliced audio and REX file support.
Ableton Live 7 is currently in beta stage. If you are a registered Live 6 user you can check to see if there are any beta serial numbers available to you here.
The download version of Ableton 7 will cost EUR 419/USD 499, and a boxed version (includes the Essential Instrument Collection 2) will be EUR 499/USD 599.
Note: All users who unlock their Live 6 or Live 6 Upgrade between October 1, 2007 and January 31, 2008 will get a free download upgrade to Ableton Live 7, plus attractive instrument bundle offers at release date.
New Ableton Instruments
The new add-on instruments are the result of Ableton’s collaboration with leading industry partners (AAS, SONiVOX and Chocolate Audio).
The palette covers physically modeled electric pianos, analog synthesizers and string instruments as well as multi-mic/multi-layer sampled acoustic drums, drum machines, orchestral strings, brass, woodwinds and percussion. The instruments integrate tightly with Live, both in terms of workflow and resource management.
New software instruments
Ableton Analog – one of the new software instruments
- Tension is a physical modeling string synthesizer that allows you to create incredibly accurate reproductions of real instruments or design otherworldly hybrids.
- Electric offers the sounds of classic electric pianos through physical modeling synthesis, allowing you to dive inside and play with the guts of the instrument.
- Analog emulates the unique circuitry and irresistible tweakability of vintage analog synthesizers. Able to produce everything from silky pad sweeps to earth-shaking bass.
Each of these software instruments will cost EUR 129/USD 159.
New sampled instruments
- Session Drums, a meticulously multisampled library of acoustic drums that reproduces the nuances of a recording session and puts you in the engineer’s seat (price: EUR 149/USD 179)
- Drum Machines, a choice selection of classic drum machines, meticulously sampled to faithfully reproduce the original sounds (price: EUR 69/USD 79)
- Essential Instrument Collection 2, a choice selection of acoustic and electric pianos, guitars, bass, drums, orchestral instruments and more. Version 2 adds acoustic and electronic drums as well as presets optimized for better sound quality and faster loading (price: EUR 99/USD 119)
- Orchestral Strings, a comprehensive selection of naturally rich and dynamic stringed instruments. Features solo and ensemble violin, viola, cello and double bass, all recorded in their natural positions within the orchestra, complete with a number of articulations (price: EUR 209/USD 249)
- Orchestral Brass, a thorough set of vivid and colorful brass instruments. Features solo and ensemble French horn, trombone, trumpet and tuba, with a unique set of articulations in multiple section sizes (price: EUR 209/USD 249)
- Orchestral Woodwinds, a variety of clear and vibrant wind instruments. Features solo and ensemble flute, clarinet, bassoon, oboe and English horn with a broad selection of articulations (price: EUR 209/USD 249)
- Orchestral Percussion, captures the true essence of symphonic percussion instruments in pristine quality. Features vibraphone, marimba, xylophone, crotales, glockenspiel, tubular bells, cymbals and timpani with a variety of articulations (price: EUR 169/USD 199)
A bundle containing Orchestral Strings, Orchestral Brass, Orchestral Woodwinds and Orchestral Percussion will be available for EUR 669/USD 799
Ableton Suite combines Ableton Live 7 with Ableton instruments in a comprehensive bundle at a great discount.
There will be 2 versions of Ableton Suite:
- Download version (price: EUR 649/USD 799) including: Ableton Live 7, Sampler, Operator, Tension, Electric, Analog, and Drum Machines
- Boxed version (price: EUR 799/USD 999), same as the download version, additionally including:
- Session Drums
- Essential Instrument Collection 2
Several upgrade offers are available as well.
Visit Ableton for more detailed information on all these new products.